Options

NAV vs. SAP

couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
edited 2008-08-25 in General Chat
Our company currently using NAV 3.70b run time with 3.60 database, sql option, and we spend a lot of time and $$$ to make NAV to fit in our business model. Now the management team is thinking of moving into SAP. Is SAP any better? Please advise :lol::lol:

Comments

• Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    it's dependent on your business model / logic.
    Do you have many customized in your NAV :?:
    These customized also available for sap, how many users work in your system, how many transactions, etc. questions over questions

Nobody will give you the answer here: Use NAV or use SAP. You must analyze your requirements and then check wich system is the best one for that what you need.......
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    couberpu wrote:
    Our company currently using NAV 3.70b run time with 3.60 database, sql option, and we spend a lot of time and $$$ to make NAV to fit in our business model. Now the management team is thinking of moving into SAP. Is SAP any better? Please advise :lol::lol:

What are the reasons why the management team is thinking of moving to SAP?

I ask because sometimes when you list out the reasons, Navision will be able to accomodate without having to do such a drastic changes as changing to a whole new system.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    & perhaps the newer nav version can handle some of the issues you had with 3.6.

I think either way, it sounds to me, that your business is run in a particular way. And many changes were made to fit Nav to how you like to do things.

I found when we switched that we did make changes to nav but we also made changes to how we "always did things" and did it the way nav wanted to instead of being hard headed about it. (if you know what i mean)

So we met somewhere in the middle - nav made changes & we made changes. I think it's few & far between that any company can load up an erp of of the box and say "perfect!". So even w/sap i can see many changes again in your future.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Which SAP product are they looking at?

How many users and how many locations are you supporting?

Is this decision being driven by functionality or their friends on the golf course?
  • Options
    sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    your company want to move to SAP because you spend NAV a lot of $$$$, when you move to SAP i think your company probably spend twice of it.well it depends on your business model, the thing here that can be cosider is the time, and it's easy to customized to NAV compare to SAP, say your one module can be done in one month in SAP, in NAV it can be done in one week...sorry for that i'm bias :lol::lol::lol:
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the information.
    Actually, I am not so sure of the reason why they want to make the move myself and that was why I asked for advise. We are in whole sale business and lot of changes made in NAV is to help with inventory control. Our company just hired a V.P. to in charge Q.C. and he is a SAP lover. I guess that he is also a good salesperson. I know the fact that moving into SAP will cost more than what we put into NAV so far and to ask question here to get some information on how to compare two products. I will do some research, and ask for a SAP demo, to see if SAP can do better.
    OH, one more reason for the move: We never pay for the 15% fee since 2003 and the owner does not want to pay it ever. :oops: ](*,) :?: :!:
  • Options
    sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    we call SAP guy "Green Guy":lol: BTW, on Distribution, SAP have a big advantage compare to NAV..
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • Options
    sendoh wrote:
    we call SAP guy "Green Guy":lol: BTW, on Distribution, SAP have a big advantage compare to NAV..

Can you express it a little bit more? Please... :oops: :oops:
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    We are a distributor too. What problems are you having with nav? What doesn't it do for you?
  • Options
    couberpu wrote:
    OH, one more reason for the move: We never pay for the 15% fee since 2003 and the owner does not want to pay it ever. :oops: ](*,) :?: :!:

If you think NAV is 16% for NAV is expensive, wait until you see the annual SAP fee. :shock:

The annual fee is pretty much industry standard for any legitimate busines software.
  • Options
    Savatage wrote:
    We are a distributor too. What problems are you having with nav? What doesn't it do for you?

I spent a lot of after hours to learn NAV programming and how to operate the application by myself. I do not have any issue with NAV at all. That is why I need help on understanding why the management team at my company willing to take the risk! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    couberpu wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

I spent a lot of after hours to learn NAV programming and how to operate the application by myself. I do not have any issue with NAV at all. That is why I need help on understanding why the management team at my company willing to take the risk! :lol::lol:

Doesn't hurt if you ask them directly. It may be more political than functional.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    couberpu wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

You may find the following article of interest. Pay particular attention to the reader comments.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/man ... =207000149
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I think this is a case that Microsoft need to review.

<rant>
    Imagine how hard it is to say to your boss, "Hey we should upgrade NAV from 3.70 to 4.00" and then the boss says "but SAP say they can do a complete implementation of their product cheaper* than it will cost just to do an EXE upgrade of NAV and we would still be on 3.60 business logic.

It really is crazy with all the inter-dependencies that Microsoft have created, they make it very difficult for people like Couber to convince their management to make the right decision.

Companies can't even try out Vista or work with SQL 2005 because Microsoft have this idea that you should upgrade every piece of software at the same time.
    </rant>

* yes I know that SAP may end out costing more than the initial budget, but that wont be seen until NAV is long gone. And for a client that have had a tough haul with NAV, SAP may seem like less of a risk for the money.
    David Singleton