How to create version 4.0 Db for NDT

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
I've been browsing around on mibuso looking for information on the latest NDT. I'm trying to get it working for the first time.

It appears that it requires a db in version 4.0 format for its own use but all the answers to questions on mibuso give solutions along the lines of 'create a db in version 4.0 format and then ....'

However - we only have version 5

So, anyone how do you create a blank version 4 db and import the NDT objects when you don't have version 4? Maybe this is something very basic.

Ian

Comments

• imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    The online help mentions a DevTool.fdb as being the default sample db - which I do not have in my download kit and cannot find installed anywhere.... anyone know where this can be found?

Ian
    Should have also mentioned that I found the fbk file installed into
    c:\program files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Developers Toolkit\DevTool.fbk

but if I restore this into a new db created with the V5.0 client then NDT complains saying
    The database cannot be opened by this version of Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision. The database has already been converted by a newer program version.You must upgrade Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision to the latest version in order to open the database.

which makes no sense since its backwards... I am using the latest version.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    You need to use v4 (most probably 4.SP3) Client to create an empty database for NDT, and then import to it fob from NDT installation. Then you can open the database in NDT and import objects from text file or from NAV Client.

NDT will work with V5 clients (it terms of reading from the working client or sending updated objects to V5 client) , but it is using V4 database itself.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

Try doing the following.

1. download the NDT Build 291 from mibuso
    2. Install the NDT and copy your license file to the directory where the NDT is installed
    3. Open client 4.0 SP3 but do NOT open the Cronus Database
    4. Create a new database, initial size 1Gb. I usually use 512MB per database to compare.
    5. Open that database with your client, create a company and then import the FOB supplied with the Toolkit
    6. Close the database and the client
    7. Open the database with the NDT.

To use it now, you will have to create a text export of the objects you want to upgrade, compare and/or merge and import them into the NDT.

I hope this helps,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks as if I'm stuck though.

We signed up as dynamics partners a while back so we only have version 5 client ... meaning I can't create the db. Unless there is some trick I'm not aware of.

Anyone care to create a bare v4 NDT db with the minimum requirements and upload it to the mibuso downloads section? Not sure this is practical.

Ian
    imurphy wrote:
    We signed up as dynamics partners...
    So accesing this: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... v40sp3.htm shoudn't be a problem for you :mrgreen:

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Willie

:mrgreen:

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    hey thanks Slawek, didn't know I could download previous versions.

Hadn't even occured to me that this would be possible as I'd just assumed only the latest version would be online... as with most other products. I'm busy downloading now.

Ian
    Working... finally. Thanks for the help.

For anyone else reading this you will need to

-Download the NDT and NAV version 4.0 from partner source.
    -Install both
    -Create a db using Nav 4.0
    -Restore the fbk file you will find in program files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Developers Toolkit\DevTool.fbk

Open the db from NDT