Licence Question

xenonxenon Member Posts: 30
I have a Nav installation supporting 65 users on SQL, 50 users in the UK and the remainder in a factory in Germany. The users in Germany connect to the server through a VPN and a Citrix client. This has all been running well for a time but the users in Germany are complaining about slow response and it seems the latency on their line has increased but the ISP is not interested.

From a licensing point of view, what are the implications of giving them their own server? The total number of users / granules / codeunits etc. would remain the same but I would just host some of those users on a different server simply to overcome the latency.

Do I need a complete new Nav license for a second server? :cry:

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Contact your Navision partner. I know that there are solutions/agreements for this.
  • xenonxenon Member Posts: 30
    Thanks Mark. Our partner is looking into it with MS but is not hopeful.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Have you looked into getting another ISP?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Most of the time, reality is that this works better with large NAV partners. :?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Yes I would agree that for this type of issues, you need to get in touch with a NAV partner that has a presence in both countries. I'm not saying switch partners, but consult with them on these particular issues.
    ara3n wrote:
    Have you looked into getting another ISP?

The problem is that the location is quite a long way from a major town and ISPs do not offer very good speeds. However, we have just been offered another service from a different ISP which is supposedly a 6Mb sync connection so we'll try that.

Would be nice to know we would not get stung by MS though simply for "moving data" to get around a latent WAN issue.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    MS license for multiple site is more about number of users and I don't know if they will split the license.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    xenon wrote:

Have your partner check on multi-site license agreements. There is a section of PartnerSource about it. I know that MS will do these agreements but also I don't believe they will do them for less then 50 combined users.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    xenon wrote:

Have your partner check on multi-site license agreements. There is a section of PartnerSource about it. I know that MS will do these agreements but also I don't believe they will do them for less then 50 combined users.

We have 68 users in total so perhaps there is a possibility?