Options

3 global dimensions

wwestendorpwwestendorp Member Posts: 178
A customer wants 3 Dimensions in the tables (Fixed assets etc.)

This could be Shortcut dimension 3 but they want it visable so they can easily filter on it when doing "Calulate depreciations" etc.

Is this easy to do and where should I whatch out for ?
Any experience with this modification?

Thanks in advance for you're help!!!

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I would say it's easy. It all depends on who is doing it.
    It's a lot of repetitive code needs to be changed.
    In order to minimize it I would ask them which tables they want to do this.
    If it's just fixed asset then it relatively easy.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    A customer wants 3 Dimensions in the tables (Fixed assets etc.)

This could be Shortcut dimension 3 but they want it visable so they can easily filter on it when doing "Calulate depreciations" etc.

Is this easy to do and where should I whatch out for ?
    Any experience with this modification?

Thanks in advance for you're help!!!

I agree with Rashed, its quite easy, it just takes a fair bit of time and patience.

The last time I did it, I had the customer create a specific list of each and every table they needed it in, so I did not modify the entire application. Then I modified the "Change Global dimension function" on the GL setup card) to go though and populate these fields, which went quite smoothly.

Just make sure that the customer tests every table, since with some much Ctrl-C Ctrl-V going on, its easy to miss one or to forget to change the 1 and 2 to 3 and 4.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
    Hello All,

I am trying to do this for sales side of NAV.

I have added the extra field on General Ledger,Customer Ledger and Sales Line.

I am trying to set the "Shortcut Dimension 3 Code" on the document dimension to the "Shortcut Dimension 3 Code" (new field) on the Sales line and modify the codeunit 80 to post the new field to the customer ledger and the general ledger.

Can someone please guide me on the strategy and if their is an easier way to do this ?

Thank you
  • Options
    gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
    used Brute method of just adding the field everywhere and copying pasting code.

A better method would be through Dimension Management Codeunit
  • Options
    Cali_KoppersCali_Koppers Member Posts: 19
    Hello All,

I am trying to do this for sales side of NAV.

I have added the extra field on General Ledger,Customer Ledger and Sales Line.

I am trying to set the "Shortcut Dimension 3 Code" on the document dimension to the "Shortcut Dimension 3 Code" (new field) on the Sales line and modify the codeunit 80 to post the new field to the customer ledger and the general ledger.

Can someone please guide me on the strategy and if their is an easier way to do this ?

Thank you

Can you get away with still using shortcut dimension and creating a flowfield to it to GLE and CLE? Seems to me that's the easiest way to do it. You have to be careful though because they may want the field to behave just like both global dimensions. If you can get away with this, it's easier but the best solution is to make it like both dimensions.
  • Options
    bangswitbangswit Member Posts: 265
    but if I want to use 3 global dimension, in whole NAV
    what objects should I change?
    is it easy enough too?
  • Options
    crisnicolascrisnicolas Member Posts: 177
    bangswit wrote:
    but if I want to use 3 global dimension, in whole NAV
    what objects should I change?
    is it easy enough too?

You'll have to look up at all tables that have the 2 global dimensions.
    Then add that third global dimension on all forms that show the first two
    Then take a look at all codeunits and all code in all kind of objects that populate global dimensions on tables (including the DimensionManagement codeunit)

I'd say it's not all that hard, but it takes a lot of time, and a lot of test everywhere in NAV will have to be done afterwards.
    Just do this modification if it is really necessary.