MicrosoftDynamicsNAV5.0SP1_JobsUpdate.exe - missing codeunit

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
I've just been trying out the jobs patch released a couple of weeks back for 5.0sp1.

The patch updates form 54 - purchase order subform, among others, but generates an error when you open the purchase order form as it contains a variable
PurchInfoPaneMgt@1004 : Codeunit 7181;

and on my system I don't have a codeunit 7181

Anyone know what this codeunit is?

Ian

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Codeunit 7181 is "Purchases Info-Pane Management".

You are probably importing the objects into the wrong NAV version. The codeunit doesn't exists in NAV 5.0, but it exists in NAV 5.0 SP1.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    My copy of Nav says I'm using 'Versión ES Dynamics NAV 5.0 (5.0 SP1).... stranger and stranger.

Ian
    We're pretty new to Navision - so maybe something has not been correctly done during the upgrade process.

- I started out creating a blank db using version 5.0.
    - I then imported the objects from the cronus db - again using version 5.0
    - I then installed the sp1 executables.
    - Upon opening the 5.0 db it ran an upgrade procedure against it.

This is all that was required to go from 5.0 to 5.0sp1, no? I didn't find any more docs on the upgrade process.

There is an upgrade kit - which is directed at version 3.x and 4.x It doesn't appear to have any implications for an installation already running 5.0.

Ian
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    That's wrong, indeed.

5.1 does contain some new objects, amongst them CU7181. So you should do a compare&merge-job (between 5.00 and 5.00SP1, because the jobs-update (probably talking about this one) is based on 5.0 SP1.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    Thanks for the pointer.. would never have realised if it hadn't been for that error.

Since We're working on an as-yet little modified db I'm going to just overwrite with sp1 by importing the objects from the sample db over the top of what I've got and then merge the changes to modules with warnings back by hand - I've only got 10 with warnings and more than half of those I've never touched so the differences should be cosmetic.

Ian
    You have to realize there is a difference between an upgrade and a runtime upgrade.

An upgrade usually means: a merge of old customized code into new base version.
    A runtime upgrade is what you did: just opening the old version in the runtime client of a new version.

If you want to apply a hotfix, which involves code changes (like the job update), you have to make sure you know what you're doing: you could be applying only the changes (i.e. compare the hotfix with its base version, and apply it in your database), or you could be upgrading your database to your hotfix's base version and then apply it (taking your customizations into account).

I understand this is quite complex for "pretty new" people :wink: ...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Conceptually its no problem - its the mechanics of how to actually do an upgrade and the question of how do you know if something has been upgraded or not which are difficult.

It seems incredible that there isn't a visual studio compare/modify/accept type tool to do upgrades.... the whole process strikes me as very manual.

Still, it shouldn't be difficult in this case.

Ian
    Conceptually its no problem - its the mechanics of how to actually do an upgrade and the question of how do you know if something has been upgraded or not which are difficult.

It seems incredible that there isn't a tool like the visual studio compare/modify/accept source save checkin tool for doing upgrades.... the whole process seems very manual.

Ian
    imurphy wrote:

It seems incredible that there isn't a tool like the visual studio compare/modify/accept source save checkin tool for doing upgrades.... the whole process seems very manual.

Ian

Are you talking about the NDT?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Incredible, I've been working with nav for several months now. We've done weeks of the courses, I've spent an inordinate amount of time on partnersource digging through the chaos and downloading and reading everything I could find and this is the first time I've heard mention of NDT..... it doesn't show up in the available downloads for nav 5!

I've just checked, you filter for NAV and it doesn't show up, you have to search the site.
    Who is running this partnersource? Its a disaster. If the visual studio team worked the same way they'd be lynched.

Ian
  • IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
    and on top of that they recently improved redesigned partnersource.
    All I can say is that it's marketing BS.
    Its bit of a joke that you have to go to a site like to mibuso or a blog of someone like waldo to find out where to download, say, sp1 or a tool from.

They badly need a 'Start here' page for developers which lists what courses are required/advised, what to download, what you should have and what you should read to get going.

Basic user documentation would be a nice touch as well. We're in spain and pretty much the only thing we can offer clients is to translate some of the training texts.
    Considering the license price I don't think any of this is unreasonable.

Ian
    Just realise that "we're getting there"... . It has been worse :wink:.

a few tips for you:
    - Navision Developers Toolkit
    - Dynamics NAV Tools Overview
    - My own Platform Update Overview, where you can find more interesting links as well 8). I update this list every once in a while with new links to partnersource by posting a new blogpost... .
    I hope this is useful for you...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    After downloading I noticed that it only works with version 4....

What was it anyway? Since it hasn't been released for version 5 I assume it wasn't particularly popular.

Ian
    It has nothing to do with NAV versions. It just uses the C/SIDE database to store the versions you're working with. So don't mind the 4.0 version.

It's a separate application (written in c++ if I'm not mistaken), a tool to analyse your code, to compare and merge versions of certain objects, Upgrade tool, ... .

Many people use it on daily basis. It's a toolkit for developers ... therefore "developer's toolkit" :wink:.

Now, I must say there are other ways to do upgrades, but this is the "recommended" one (read: Microsoft recommended).

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • PerJuhlPerJuhl Member Posts: 55
    imurphy wrote:
    After downloading I noticed that it only works with version 4....

What was it anyway? Since it hasn't been released for version 5 I assume it wasn't particularly popular.

Ian

Hi Ian

They can't do it all in one week.

NDT is free, so it's not a priority to upgrade it for MBS.

BR Per
    I eventually got it working. Since I only had version 5 this meant downloading a copy of version 4 just for this. Its a bit odd in its working and, once again, looks like something someone fired together but never finished.
    I've been using it over the last week and have found that it generates exceptions more or less constantly. I have yet to get an exported merge to import - but things look better than they did a week ago.

Ian