Moving some records from old company to new Company

raieesraiees Member Posts: 33
Hi All,
my client wants to move some records from old company to new company. what would be the best way to do it?
Any suggestion for this?
Thanks in Advance
Raiees

Comments

• wicwic Member Posts: 96
    raiees wrote:
    Hi All,
    my client wants to move some records from old company to new company. what would be the best way to do it?
    Any suggestion for this?
    Thanks in Advance
    Raiees
    Some questiones resides open:
    What kind of records (entries or master rec like Customer)
    MOVE or copy?
    If move, what happens with OLD company? (inconsistency)
    #### Only one can survive ######
  • raieesraiees Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    we need to move records from masters and as well as trasaction table.
    Almost 200 customers need to be moved and they will take with them all history also, old company will have remaining records as old company will also be live.
    we are thinking to move all data related to those customers (with recordref) and copy all setup from old copmany but before doing this, I need more advice.
    Thanks
  • wicwic Member Posts: 96
    You can use the "copy" functions under Administration-Appl setup-General-Setup Checklist-Functions/"Copy data" for the master datas.

For history, because you have entries, you must ensure consistency of your entries... that sounds difficult. The easiest way will be to "recreate" the entry using a journal (i.e. a global entry for the entire amount)...
    If you want the history DETAIL then.. :roll: good question...maybe you must copy all related entries of your master data and entries related to other entries (ledger entry with value entry and so on)... Maybe if you close the fiscal year, you can cut some link (i.e. an item can be deleted if the fiscal year where it has item ledger entry is closed)
    Maybe the compression can help too...
    but I don't see a quick way 8-[
    Have fun
    #### Only one can survive ######
    Thanks wic,
    what I am doing...
    I am simply finding all records in all tables with Id and just after changing the company, creating same record in other company and deleting the reocrd from old table. I test it with sample data and update here my result.
    Thanks
    Raiees
  • cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    How about:

1)making a backup of the company (data only)
    2)rename the old company to the new company name
    3)restore the backup to get the old live company

I think this is the easiest and most comfortable way to do it. After that you will have two companies with exactly the same data. In case, you need to change/delete some data, you can start from a complete company which is good enough.

Best Regards,
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
    Thanks Cunny,
    I was planning for this only but database size is more than 20GB.
    luckily now company agreed to transfer all masters records with balances not transaction history. so it is a lot easier to move data.
    Raiees