Transfer Orders in Nav 5.00

bangibangi Member Posts: 11
I am new to Navision and just need some guidence as whether I am on right track.

Transfer orders Ship and Receive moves inventory from one location to another.

If a dimension is provided on Ship it will Credit the stock account
and debit the cogs adjustment account and then further it reverse out the above.

If a different dimension is provided on Receive it will again Debit the stock account and credit cogs adjustment account and reverse out the above.

Therefore the net effect on General Ledger analysis by Dimension is 0.

Item Ledger however is correct in that Ship from Location gets a reduction in Inventory and Receive Location Inventory is increased.

We require that when Inventory is Shipped from 1 Location to another that
General Ledger dimensions should reflect this.

In order to achive this I have used Inventory Journals and this has the correct effect on GL and on the inventory by location as well.

Is there a better way of achiving the same.
If so please enlighten me.

:?

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    The dimension against an item is item related, by using it to reflect the location it resides you start to move away from the initial intention of the dimension on the item and start to find some big holes in how NAV processes.

You could use a transfer order and then use the item reclassification journal to reset the dimensions. You could write a modification to handle the dimension and location relationship in this instance. You will note that the responsibility centres handle the dimension and location relationship, however you cannot transfer between responsibility centres using a transfer order.

There is currently no slick way around this, and if possible avoid it during an implementation - as a suggestion or recommendation anyway, if the customer wants it that is another matter!

I believe last time it was asked Microsoft said this was not an issue, the dimension is item related and therefore it stays with the item, the fact you are using it to represent where the item resides is not the use of the item dimension!

My memory also said if you altered the dimension on the line after shipment NAV ignored it anyway as the dimension has to be consistent and books it in at the old dimension, pretty sure it was that way in 4, not tried it in 5.

Also the entries are Inventory Asset and Inventory Adjustment (not COGS) but depending upon the configuration of the Inventory Posting Setup they could be anything!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen