.NET dll registration

vipinkuruvillavipinkuruvilla Member Posts: 143
Hai All,

I have implemented my webservice in .NET After following the below instructions:
tlbexp NavisionControl.dll /out:NavisionControl.tlb

regasm /tlb:NavisionControl.tlb NavisionControl.dll

gacutil /i NavisionControl.dll

Iam able to see my dll in the Automation Server in Navision.

This is working fine in my local machine. But when I do the above things in my server, Iam unable to get the dll in my Automation server of my client machines. Can anyone tell me how I can register the .NET dell in server side so that I can use it in my client machines.

Any help would be appreciated......

Thanx in advance....

Comments

• girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    The .dll needs to be installed on each client machine.

Alternatively, you can use a thin client.
  • vipinkuruvillavipinkuruvilla Member Posts: 143
    The .dll needs to be installed on each client machine.

Alternatively, you can use a thin client.

Assuming that by installing u menat registering.....for registering the .NET dll in all client machine i will have to install Visual Studio 2005 in all machines right........So that may create a license issue.

What do you mean by thin client? Is there any other possibility by which i can get the .dll in my clients?

Thanx in advance......
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Assuming that by installing u menat registering.....for registering the .NET dll in all client machine i will have to install Visual Studio 2005 in all machines right........So that may create a license issue.
    No, you only have to install .NET Framework.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    No, you only have to install .NET Framework.

Sorry if iam wrong but i dont think that when we install .net framework you will be getting the visual studio command promt...........After getting this command prompt only it is possible to register right???
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    No, you can also register your DLL without installing the whole VS.

It depends on the type of your DLL.

RegAsm.exe AssemblyName.dll /tlb:AssemblyName.tlb

gacutil.exe /i AssemblyName.dll

or

regsvr32 AssemblyName.dll

But maybe it's easier for you to create a setup of your project with auto-registration.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    No, you can also register your DLL without installing the whole VS.

It depends on the type of your DLL.

RegAsm.exe AssemblyName.dll /tlb:AssemblyName.tlb

gacutil.exe /i AssemblyName.dll

or

regsvr32 AssemblyName.dll

But maybe it's easier for you to create a setup of your project with auto-registration.

Thank You for your quick reply.....Where should i give the above said command..... is it in the windows command prompt or visual studio 2005 comand prompt.........How can i implement the auto registration?? Can you please help me out??
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    When .dlls become a part of the solution, deploying them (registering as mentioned above) can be difficult if there are a lot of client machines and the .dll is frequently updated.

Using a central server with users connected via Citrix can be a solution to that problem. That is what I mean by a thin client -- the Citrix client.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    That is what I mean by a thin client -- the Citrix client.
    Ah I wasn't sure what you meant there. Citrix is hardly a thin client though.
    DenSter wrote:
    That is what I mean by a thin client -- the Citrix client.
    Ah I wasn't sure what you meant there. Citrix is hardly a thin client though.

How can I implement the Citrix client ??

Thanx in advance......
  • SoumyadipSoumyadip Member Posts: 209
    What is "Auto Registration"? How can i have the "Auto Registration"?