DB Problem

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
I have installed SQL Server there r 4 SQL DB's which r located at diff-2 location I want to Deploy Different-2 Licence for all Databases.How it is possible?
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    from a navision finsql.exe client go to menu File-Database-Alter
    then in Integration tab checkmark the parameter Save license in database

after that you can upload licences by openeing a database and going to menu "Tools-Licence information" and clicking Upload button
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Of course your licenses must be enabled to be loaded per DB and not only serverwide.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Another option is to install a separate SQL instance (properly licensed) for each location. Then you could upload the appropriate license to each one.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    Another option is to install a separate SQL instance (properly licensed) for each location. Then you could upload the appropriate license to each one.
    But this costs a lot of overhead in the resources (memory and CPU) of the server.
    It is better 1 instance with multiple DB's than multiple instances with each 1 DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    But this costs a lot of overhead in the resources (memory and CPU) of the server.
    It is better 1 instance with multiple DB's than multiple instances with each 1 DB.

It depends on the needs as to which approach is preferred. The resource requirements to run the base SQL system are small compared to those for actually running an active database. The comparison between running 1 instance with 2 databases vs. 2 instances with 1 DB each is probably insignificant.

Running 2 instance does provide a couple of possible advantages.
    bbrown wrote:
    kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

It depends on the needs as to which approach is preferred. The resource requirements to run the base SQL system are small compared to those for actually running an active database. The comparison between running 1 instance with 2 databases vs. 2 instances with 1 DB each is probably insignificant.

With 2 instances, you have 2 instances fighting for resources. With 1 instance, you don't have the problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

With 2 instances, you have 2 instances fighting for resources. With 1 instance, you don't have the problem.

So you just provide enough resources to keep them both happy. How is this different from having 2 databases on the same instance? Aren't they also competing for resources?

You can also restrict some of the resources that each instance uses. You can also carry this further by running each within its own virtual enviroment. (But that's a whole other topic)
    bbrown wrote:
    kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

So you just provide enough resources to keep them both happy. How is this different from having 2 databases on the same instance? Aren't they also competing for resources?

You can also restrict some of the resources that each instance uses. You can also carry this further by running each within its own virtual enviroment. (But that's a whole other topic)
    Actually, I meant that the 2 SQL-instances are competing for resources, not the 2 DB's.
    It is also true that the 2 DB's are competing for resources, but with 1 instance, SQL handles this quite well.
    With 2 instances, it is more difficult :
    E.g.: you need to give both instances 1 GB of memory because they may need it. But maybe at certain times 1 instance only needs 100MB. But with 2 instances, SQL won't free the 900MB that it doesn't need at the moment. The other DB will always be limited at 1GB even if it temporarily needs more to have good performance.
    With 1 instance, if 1 DB only needs 100MB, it leaves 1.9GB for the other DB and maybe in that moment, that DB really needed that memory.

Further : it is easier to administrate 1 instance instead of 2.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    Actually, I meant that the 2 SQL-instances are competing for resources, not the 2 DB's.
    It is also true that the 2 DB's are competing for resources, but with 1 instance, SQL handles this quite well.
    With 2 instances, it is more difficult :
    E.g.: you need to give both instances 1 GB of memory because they may need it. But maybe at certain times 1 instance only needs 100MB. But with 2 instances, SQL won't free the 900MB that it doesn't need at the moment. The other DB will always be limited at 1GB even if it temporarily needs more to have good performance.
    With 1 instance, if 1 DB only needs 100MB, it leaves 1.9GB for the other DB and maybe in that moment, that DB really needed that memory.

Further : it is easier to administrate 1 instance instead of 2.

I would not be doing this on a server that is starved for resources. I would have adequate memory, CPU, and disk to service the demands of all instances. So that fact that I have dedicated memory to a particular instance is not relevant.

Yes multiple instances can involve more management but they can also provide some advantages. Consider a situation where you are installing NAV and the client want to put in on the BIG corporate SQL box. But they won't give out the SA password. Setting up a separate instance of NAV allows you to have admin level access for NAV while not intefering with the security of the other databases.

No solution is a one-size-fits-all. You need to look at the particular needs of the site along withe the tools and resources available. Then apply the best solution to address that customer's needs.
    bbrown wrote:
    I would not be doing this on a server that is starved for resources. I would have adequate memory, CPU, and disk to service the demands of all instances. So that fact that I have dedicated memory to a particular instance is not relevant.
    True, it is best put on different servers (or add memory), but sometimes a customer wants it all on 1 server and no extra memory...
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    True, it is best put on different servers (or add memory), but sometimes a customer wants it all on 1 server and no extra memory...

The toughest part of this business is knowing when to say NO to a customer. And if needed to get up and walk away.

There is also an advantage with virtualization/multi-instance with the new MS licensing policies. With Windows Server Enterprise you are allowed to create up to 4 virtual machines (one physical server) with a single Windows Server license.