Using Windows Fonts on Reports

Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
Does it boost up dot-matrix printer performance to use Windows fonts on reports instead of using true-typed fonts. I think it does not, because NAV sends report to printer in graphical format.
Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005

Comments

• JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    You must use text font. I use "Utility 12cpi" for that.

This is huge speed up for matrix printer if you don't use shape on this report.
  • Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
    "Utility 12cpi"
    Is it a font set? If it is, it is important that it contains some country-specific characters. For example, for Turkish ş, ğ, ı, İ, Ğ, Ş.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Laser printers are dirt cheap nowadays, certainly less than a couple of hours of consulting time. Is there a reason why you don't want to get one?
    I would love to use laser printers. But in Turkey, printing invoices, shipments ect. requires dot-matrix printers because those documents are printed on officially numbered, continuous and carbon-copy papers.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
  • Captain_DX4Captain_DX4 Member Posts: 230
    I don't think you'll get a huge speed win to use one font over another. NAV is going to print graphically, and all the fonts available have to be rendered that way.

The only thing I could suggest is to invest in an Okidata dot matrix printer, if you can get your hands on one. They are rated fastest on the market (at least they used to be).
    Kristopher Webb
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer
    My customer thinks to invest on a "line printer", whose trademark is TallyGenicom. Is it possible to use line printer for NAV reports?
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
  • Captain_DX4Captain_DX4 Member Posts: 230
    I really have no clue. *hehe* But what I would expect is that any printer that can interface with Windows should be able to work with NAV. NAV doesn't actually control the printer, it relies on Windows to do that work for it.
    Kristopher Webb
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    cemkaraer wrote:
    Does it boost up dot-matrix printer performance to use Windows fonts on reports instead of using true-typed fonts. I think it does not, because NAV sends report to printer in graphical format.

You have to play with the Fonts on each text box and caption box to see which font would give you best result.

For dot matrix printers, we found that using courier new font works pretty well.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    There's a term for fonts that use the same amount of space for every character... can't think of it... :-k
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    for the old dot-matrix printer i've solved this speed problem as follows:

I doesn't use the default driver, i use an EPSON FX 1050 Windows Driver and have changed the printer to emulation EPSON. On Report i change the property DeviceFontName to an FONT of the Printer. these Font can also be deposited on the textboxes / labels.

a good font for the space problem for every character is the font "Courier New"

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I haven't done it in a while but I used to achive full speed just making it a "Generic Text" printer. If text printers are a headache then lasers are the asprin :D
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    cemkaraer wrote:
    I would love to use laser printers. But in Turkey, printing invoices, shipments ect. requires dot-matrix printers because those documents are printed on officially numbered, continuous and carbon-copy papers.
    FYI:
    in fact, companies in turkey don't need to use carbon-copy papers. there is no legal restriction about carbon-copy papers. customers don't know that they can use A4 papers. legal instruction is that companies must use registered numbers on documents which could be carbon-copy paper or a4, a5 etc.

at the start of NAV implementation, I always encourage customers to start to use A4 papers and laser printers for every legal document including year-end printouts, invoices, shipments, debit-credit notes etc.