general concept of outlook sync

vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
Hi all,

I'm a little confused about the concepts of syncronising with outlook and NAV 5.0.

Here is the setup :

Our users over Europe work over Citrix for Navision. We have dedicated servers for that, nicely balanced. The users use Outlook on their own PC or Portable in relation with our exchange server. On the local PC's we do not have a NAV client installed.

How is Outlook integration best set up in this environment? I imagine that the Outlook add-in where users can Sync. within Outlook is not an option, since from their proper PC, direct access to the NAV servers is not possible. I see there an option to connect to the service tier, but that is greyed out.

I imagine we could setup Nav to sync with Exchange server, do we need NAS to do so, what about manual proces from within Navision? Is there any documentation that can help us better understand different options, note that I don't have access to Partnersource and knowing that the customersource is only provides information on this matter through the 'what's new in 5.0 documentation that only provides the general setup of the Outlook syncronisation (which I already appreciate much).

many thx for your help.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The outlook sync do not need the NAV client, but is using C/Front to do the work. It means "thick" connection. The option for mid tier is disabled, because you do not have the mid-tier yet (NAV 2009). After the NAV 2009 it seems that the WebServices will be possible to use for syncing the Outlook.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.