Upgrading from nav 5.0 to nav 5.0 sp1

sivaguru_ksrsivaguru_ksr Member Posts: 100
Hello,

In Nav 5.0 sp1 upgrade toolKit -->for Data conversion tools.it has only following two options...
1. 3.7 to 5.0 sp1
2. 4.0 to 5.0 sp1

there is no option provided in 'Nav 5.0 sp1 upgrade tool kit (italia version)' to move the data from nav 5.0 DB to Nav 5.0 sp1 DB.

is there any method to move the Data from Nav 5.0 DB to Nav 5.0 sp1 DB?

we can't use dataports to move the data because there are many tables and huge amount of data to be moved....

Comments

• azerty74azerty74 Member Posts: 82
    There are only a few changes to the data structure in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 compared to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0.

None of these changes require that you upgrade the data when you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1. Hence, an upgrade toolkit for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 is not needed.

It is only necessary to upgrade the objects (not the data) in the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 database to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 when you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 and, of course, the executables
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing code. Therefore if you write the code as cleverly as possible you are by definition not smart enough to debug it.
  • sivaguru_ksrsivaguru_ksr Member Posts: 100
    Ok.Thanks

first,I willupdate the executables for nav 5.0 DB to nav 5.0 sp1...

then,I will take the object of nav5.0sp1(upgraded one) and directly import them into nav 5.0 DB...

After testing..i will let you know the feedback
  • edudiazedudiaz Member Posts: 39
    Hello azerty74,

I am on the same boat except I already have a testing environment and I have already installed and upgraded the database to SP1. When I go to help > About Microsoft Dynamics, I get the wonderful 5.0 SP1.

The problem is that I went to convergence 2008 and I have their power point slides and video that talks about the new features in SP1 like archiving, line comments, planning, etc..and none of those features are available in my installation. What have I missed?

Thanks!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    edudiaz wrote:
    Hello azerty74,

I am on the same boat except I already have a testing environment and I have already installed and upgraded the database to SP1. When I go to help > About Microsoft Dynamics, I get the wonderful 5.0 SP1.

The problem is that I went to convergence 2008 and I have their power point slides and video that talks about the new features in SP1 like archiving, line comments, planning, etc..and none of those features are available in my installation. What have I missed?

Thanks!

You have to upgrade the database objects to 5.0 SP1 as well. You can use the merge tool found in the download section or use the Developer Toolkit to merge.
    Hi Alex,

When I opened the test database it did ask me if I wanted to update the database to the current release. I don't have the exact words but it did prompt me for the update. How can I check this was done correctly and where can I get the download or Developer Toolkit.

Thanks!
    edudiaz wrote:
    Hi Alex,

When I opened the test database it did ask me if I wanted to update the database to the current release. I don't have the exact words but it did prompt me for the update. How can I check this was done correctly and where can I get the download or Developer Toolkit.

Thanks!

During the prompt, if you push Yes, your EXECUTABLES will be upgrade to 5.0 SP1. However, your database objects will still be in 5.0.

The merging process will need a bit more effort than the upgrading executables.

Are you a NAV partner or an end user? You will not be able to use the developer toolkit with a end user license.
    Got it - I am an End User.
    We have version 5.0 and really few report modifications. Do you see any risks on going with SP1? Any recommendations?
    Thanks for all your help!
    edudiaz wrote:
    Got it - I am an End User.
    We have version 5.0 and really few report modifications. Do you see any risks on going with SP1? Any recommendations?
    Thanks for all your help!

Simply put, 5.1 fixes a lot of the bugs in 5.0. If you're using SQL, it also has some backend improvements on performance.

There is a document that list bug fixes that you can ask your partner to send to you.
  • daborgdaborg Member Posts: 54
    something to note maybe is that in SP1 there is now a "Posting Date" field on all posted sales/purchase document lines.

The NAV Upgrade Toolkit does NOT populate this field for existing document lines. For consistency sake it is probably a good idea to create a small report to update any existing document lines after the SP1 object merge is done.