Databse Size Monitor

MatStephensSandAMatStephensSandA Member Posts: 74
Hi all...

Im trying to monitor the growth of one of our international Databses.

Accoring to the system generated Table Information it currently stands at 22045240 (KB)

Yet when i look at the individual entries in the Internal System Table - Table Information. i get a total of 22001200 (KB)

I figured the rest of the size must be taken up with the actual objects (blob sizes) so i looked at the object table and discovered it was 504711212 Bytes. I divided that by 1024 to give me a new total of 49522.

22001200 + 49522 = 22050722. Not 22045240. So where does the Database information get its databse size from??

I know its not a million miles out but 1+1 should be 2 not 1.99999

Thanks in advance

M@
M@
I have seen the future and it's egg shaped.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I think the only way to get that number to add up correctly is to get everyone out, so that there is no processing between the time you click on database information, and drill down into the individual tables. To be honest, I've never gone in and tried to precisely add up those numbers. To me they are more a guideline than an exact scientific number.

The database used (kb) total should be the value of Size (kb) of all individual tables. What might be missing in there are SIFT tables, or some of the indexes. Perhaps the database total includes views that are not listed in the table list when you click the tables button. I am just guessing here :)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I also noticed that the size of the BLOBS are not calculated in the table information.
    I have a table with 80000 records with a record size of 107 for a total size of 8MB. But each record contains a few KB of BLOB but this is not counted.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!