How reservation entries work?

canadian_ehcanadian_eh Member Posts: 13
Can somebody help me understand how reservation entries work?

I know that it is related to item tracking but at what point is this populated?

Is there a white paper regarding reservation entries??

Thanks!

Comments

• idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Are you interested in the function of Reservation or Item Tracking?
    You can have Reservation only, Item Tracking only and/or both...They make use of the same table...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Hi, you can put Item and customer settings for reservation to reserve always/optional or Never.

On this combination (where Item always wins) Navision does check or not, whether Sales Line is to be 'reserved' or not. If it has to be reserved, Navision tries to reserve itself or it gives a message.

Navision tries to reserve on open Item Ledger entry, not reserved yet, or can also reserve on purchase Line quantities (or even requisition Lines).

What it DOESN't do : Reservation has no influence in the Qty available functionality (infopane or Availibility forms). For Nav reservation doesn't mean unavailable. (had some understanding issues with some customers on this level, that's why I mention here)

It is only linked to the item tracking by the use of the same table, but with other entry type.(reservation entry table).

Be sure that you use this functionality where it is built for. In some older systems 'reservation' was the only way to influence availibility of items, while in Nav, orderlines have immediate effect to this availibility, so often reservation functionality is asked for, but might not be necessary.