Debugger Not Launching, Why? (finsql)

XypherXypher Member Posts: 297
So I am able to use the debugger with fin.exe accessing a local navision db, but I am unable to do so using finsql.exe connecting to a SQL server db.

(But... I am able to rdp to another computer, run finsql+connect and the debugger runs fine.)

Perhaps I need to wipe my zup file? Because I am unable to find any setting(s) for the debugger which would fall under this category. :(

Answers

• EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    check if you are using the same licences in those cases you mentioned
  • XypherXypher Member Posts: 297
    Yes I am
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I've seen it not come up when finsql is a published app on Citrix, but I've also seen it come up that way. I don't know what setting would make a difference. If it is indeed a published app I would ask for desktop access.
    We're running Terminal Server. We don't use Citrix.

On my work computer I can run the debugger on a local database but I cannot run it on a remote database. I can run the debugger fine from another computer connecting to the same remote database.

Is there a local setting that may prohibit this or do I indeed need to wipe my zup file?
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Last thing you may want to check is if Windows Firewall is blocking the debugger.
    Well I do have a firewall running... but even after adding finsql to trusted applications (and even looking at the blocked network log) I'm showing no change.
    Xypher wrote:
    We're running Terminal Server
    Do you get the whole desktop or just NAV? I've seen it where the debugger doesn't come up with just the app being published. I've also had firewall issues. What I'd try is uninstalling NAV and re-installing it. Sometimes that gives the system a little kick in the backside.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    check if the firewall (MS firewall, ZoneAlarm, McAfee, Norton, etc.) blocks the access to the database.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    What are the symptoms? A blank debugging screen or error message?
    I encountered debugging issues with the debugger on 4.01 where debugger would point at the wrong place or simply open with a blank screen...
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    The firewall I have running has finsql as a trusted application and not showing anything being blocked in its logs. (Running Sophos)

My symptoms when after pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 (or just enabling through the menus) and running an object is... Nothing. No blank debugger, no message, just runs the object like normal :(

(Using Navision 4SP3 btw)
    I know it's very obvious, and you probably know, but just to make sure.... you have 'breakpoint on triggers' turned on right? If you don't turn on that setting and there is no error, you will never actually see the debugger, it will only come up when it runs into an error.
    Yeah whether or not I have that activated (Ctrl-Shift-F12) it still does not pop-up.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Xypher,

I know it's a long shot ...but Nav uses a virtual table 2000000059 to store/set the breakpoints for the debugger - do you have permission to it?

Also did you rule out a problem with your zup file and/or your firewall / antivirus.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Try turning off the firewall and if it then runs. I think the issue is that finsql is not the program that needs access.

Also can you go to the terminal server and log in locally and try it.

PS Citrix runs over terminal server, so the issues are identical.
    David Singleton
    I think the issue is that finsql is not the program that needs access.
    That makes sense. The debugger is atdebug.exe
    So yeah... I am feeling really silly right now.

The way I have my Navision setup on my work computer is to allow me to run multiple instances of fin/sql.exe to connect to multiple databases.

Each database I connect to has its own "custom folder" (1 dbm.dll per connection) where I place the minimum required files to launch the desired exe for that database. (And by minimum I mean no 'AtDebug.exe' present. :oops:) Reason I do this is also because I have an auto-login program that launches each individual exe to its own zup, db, etc

But I do appreciate everyone's help none the less :D
    You don't need additional installation folders to run multiple instances of finsql.exe, it already is a multi-instance executable. Try it, open the original NAV installation folder and doubleclick finsql.exe, connect to a database, doubleclick it again and connect to another database. You can create multiple shortcuts on your desktop to launch different databases and/or different zupfiles, by using the parameters in your target, while using the same executable.
    I only set it up like that because I had multiple local fdb's I was connecting to requiring me to make multiple locations for the dbm.dll. (If I wanted to open more than one fin.exe)

But you are right finsql can have multiple instances. I just found that out after implementing the above :?