CSIDE server parameters no longer visible in DOS

Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
Subject: CSIDE server parameters no longer visible in DOS for V4/V5

Hello!

I have just been trying out some server installations. I installed the V5 C/SIDE server software on my PC, stopped the service via services and then went to command prompt.

In command prompt, I found the server program folder and typed server and hit return.

Normally this should display the parameters of the service I have set up.

Instead it just showed the default parameters - is Server: SERVER1, nettype=tcps, etc...

I tried this in V4 Sp3 and found the same...

Went back to V3.70A and found that this did work and show the parameters I had set...

Is this a known problem?

Thanks you!
Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
Theta

Answers

• vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Hi, what parameters are you refering to/missing?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    server -

not work and the parameters
    CACHE=?, COMMITCACHE=?, SERVERNAME=?, NETTYPE=?, SESSIONS=?, STOPTIME=?, DATABASE=?, INSTALLASSERVICE, UNINSTALLASSERVICE are not displayed ?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Sorry - I did not make myself very clear.

If you go into DOS and go to the server program folder, you used to be able to type SERVER and get the values for the server parameters to appear (SERVERNAME = ZZZ, NETTYPE=TCP, ETC).

It seems that from V4 onwards this no longer works, it just shows the defaults (NETTYPE=TCPS, CACHE=8000, SERVERNAME=SERVER1 etc) and this has been intentionally changed by Microsoft (MS Support confirmed this, this morning).

You may still make parameter changes in DOS, but you must change them all at once, otherwise NAV creates a second instance of the service called SERVER1, and you cannot check using the SERVER command.

Thanks
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Before the parameters were saved in .zup file for the server, when the server was not installed as service. Now, when the server is running as service, the parameters are saved in registry and you have the mmc snapin for manage them.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Ah! This also explains why there is now only one dbms.zup file on the server and that this is now in the ApplicationData folder rather than separate ones in the server program folders.

Thanks Kine - I will look into the MMC snap in. :D
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta