Jobs on 5.0 ...

satanbis2satanbis2 Member Posts: 24
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade from 4.0 SP3 to 5.00
We use the jobs for lot of case (in a special view I think, jobs are equal to machines on our site), and I see that this module is completly changed .......

What we do in 4.0. :
- Create a sales invoice and fill the "Job No." on sales line.
When we post, that create a "Job ledger entry" on the jobs.
So, with that, we know what was invoiced for a job (= what money give the machine)

- One of our companies use item and stock to repair machines
So Items are posted like usage on jobs. And we can invoice these usage to the owner of machines.
To do that, We adjust the costs, I make a function to modify the price unit (always = unit cost + x%). and on sales invoice, we do "extract job usage".

So, on job, we have cost + sales.

But what on 5.0 ?
- We can't directly invoice on job ?
"Job No." is editable=No and if i change it, that don't post on job...

- Same problem fot items, we can't post directly to job from item journal line ...

I use the same from nav2.6, and now, Microsoft simply remove the possibility ...

Any ideas to do that ? thx

Comments

• nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Jobs in Navision 5.0 have a differently new structure. Even in a few upgrades that I have done to version 5.0, customers complained about losing functionality.

You should do job consumption in directly job journal. In Jobs 5.0 invoicing by consumption has to be done some workaround. You can only invoice lines that are in Task lines. So, when you are making consumptions you adapt “Line Type” field, so consumption is transferred to task lines.
    Then you can invoice from task lines consumed lines. This is a possible solution there are other workarounds. For example you could even use dimensions to accomplish that.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • Glenn_WalkerGlenn_Walker Member Posts: 1
    I would strongly recommend not upgrading your site to 5.0 Job without a comprehensive assessment. The 5.0 functionality is excellent however the accounting is radically different and there is significant loss in functionality.

- Purchase/ Jobs Integration is lost under 5.0, there is a major hotfix for 5.1
    - Cannot forward invoice inventory
    - Cannot direct invoice jobs
    - WIP calculations are radically different and very inflexible.

In Summary; NAV 5.0 is excellent for professional services type job costing i.e. no COGS, however for traditionally heavy industry or Job Costing involving COGS, Materials there are significant weaknesses and in my view the solution unworkable without significant development.