posted whse. shipment header vs. sales shipment header

LibertyMountainLibertyMountain Member Posts: 94
We are using WMS with directed pick/putaway in 2 locations (A & B).

I have a sales order (header location A) with sales line A (location A) and sales line B (location B).

I create whse. shipments for both locations.

I create picks for both locations, and register the picks.

I go back to the whse. shipments and post (i.e. ship only) the documents. Now I have the following posted documents:

1. posted whse. shipment header (location A)
2. posted whse. shipment header (location B)
3. sales shipment header (location A) with line item A shipped.
4. sales shipment header (location A) with line item B shipped.

why do I not get a sales shipment with location B in the header?

why also can you add tracking information to the sales shipment headers but not to posted whse. shipment headers?

Also what is best practice for adding freight information? Should we do it to the sales shipment header? the posted whse. shipment header (I assume a customization is necessary)? or to the whse shipment header prior to posting (and in this case post = ship + invoice)?

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The warehouse shipment is location specific.

This is done by design. When you create a shipment in 2 separate locations, you will need 2 separate bill of ladings since the trucks are going to be leaving from 2 separate locations.

For some companies, the use of location is to classify the item status (i.e. main, defective, etc) even though they're all in one physical location. In that case, you would need to make a transfer order to put the item into one location, then ship it out of the central location so one BOL is created.
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    The posted shipment is in fact the order posted for shipment...Nav. takes the value of the order Header on creating the posted shipment.

The posted warehouse shipment comes from the Warehouse shipment, and takes the value of the header of that doc.

In fact Nav. doesn't do anything with the Location in the header, it's more a default location for the Lines.

The question on the tracking information : the Posted shipment is the document that states what you have shipped, in fact it is the last document before the goods leave the warehouse. as from then you start tracing the goods. No need to trace the goods on all previous internal documents. The posted warehouse shipment is considered as an internal document, normally you will have no customer printout for this neither.

Freight is always a pain in the ***.
    A solution depends on the needs you have : is the freight-cost already known on order entry, then you can treat this as a item to be shipped? Just have some dummy stock on a dummy bin and it is picked and registered as regular items.

Is the freight cost depending on weight or packing or carrier, then you probably need some modification that on the posting of a warehouseshipment (or just before) the freight is calculated and added as a seperate line to the order and posted in the some run...You might try and look for add-on for this...or wait for other Mibuso suggestions.

anyway, good luck :idea:
    Also what is best practice for adding freight information? Should we do it to the sales shipment header? the posted whse. shipment header (I assume a customization is necessary)? or to the whse shipment header prior to posting (and in this case post = ship + invoice)?

Freight charges typically does not appear on a packing list or bill of lading (which is the purpose of Sales Shipment Header and/or Warehouse Shipment Header). The charges for freight usually appears on the invoice.

So to answer your question, the answer would be "it depends". In most cases, the freight amount should appear on the Invoice, instead of the packing list. But your business may be different.
  • LibertyMountainLibertyMountain Member Posts: 94
    I didn't state my freight question properly. I'm not concerned with the freight amount, as much as I am the tracking and carrier information.

Navision allows the user to add tracking/carrier info to a sales shipment header, but not a posted whse. shipment header.

the user can get around this of course if they know the tracking/carrier info before creating these documents, but I would guess for most businesses (and mine) this is not the case. we don't know the tracking/carrier info until the shipment has been weighed and dimmed and the best carrier is selected.

I would like to attach the tracking/carrier info to one of these documents (sales shipment or posted whse shipment). Which is best practice?
    I didn't state my freight question properly. I'm not concerned with the freight amount, as much as I am the tracking and carrier information.

Navision allows the user to add tracking/carrier info to a sales shipment header, but not a posted whse. shipment header.

the user can get around this of course if they know the tracking/carrier info before creating these documents, but I would guess for most businesses (and mine) this is not the case. we don't know the tracking/carrier info until the shipment has been weighed and dimmed and the best carrier is selected.

I would like to attach the tracking/carrier info to one of these documents (sales shipment or posted whse shipment). Which is best practice?

Without any modifications, the place to put the information is Sales Shipment since the fields are there. In most cases when using WHM, minor changes will need to be made to the warehouse shipment so the information displays there as well. Either way will work.