Extra label fed on pagefeed w Datamax M4208 Printer

sirpetesirpete Member Posts: 15
I am trying to pring labels from Nav to a Datamax label printer. Every time Nav sends a page break the printer will feed an extra blank label. This happens when if I print one label (in which case I get one printed label and one blank label) or a series of lables (in which case the page break in between each label causes a blank label to be fed in between each printed label).

I spoke with Datamax and they are saying its a Nav issues, which I tend to agree with because I can print from other applications such as Word and Excel.

I tried changing the paper size to various sizes in Nav (including the Japanese Postcard, whcih most closely matches the actual 4" x 6" label that I'm using) but that didn't help.

I even tried making a report to print "test" on very small report page (to make sure that I wasn't trying to print beyond the page limits and causing the page break) but that didn't work either.

HELP! ](*,)

Answers

• sirpetesirpete Member Posts: 15
    Solved the issue. It turns out that Nav was create an image of the label which it sent to the printer. The image was based on a default page size of 8.5 x 11. Since Nav doesn't allow for custom paper sizes (that I know of), I had to assign the printer to this report on the Printer Selections menu in Nav.

Once assigned, the report used the default paper size for that printer, which is the 4x6 label, and created the image output in the correct format.

Print preview should have given me a red flag when it showed the label on a large white background. :oops:

Hope this helps someone out there.

Now if I can only figure out how to assign this report to work via the network from different computers with the printer being a different Ne numbers! Any recommendations?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    super.
    Please write [Solved] infront of your subject if your request is solved.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    sirpete wrote:
    Now if I can only figure out how to assign this report to work via the network from different computers with the printer being a different Ne numbers! Any recommendations?
    Hi,

You need to have the same printer name on every client machine but pointing to different printers.

You may try to install printer driver locally on every client machine, under the same name, but on every machine configure different TCP/IP printer port and configure label printer driver use that port.

This is possible if your printers are accessible from the network as LPR printers. If not you will probably need some external print servers.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03