Excel Export for Version 2.x

SteveSteve Member Posts: 81
edited 2008-07-19 in Navision Financials
Hello All,

I'm looking for a excel exporter that is dynamic like the current contributions, but using the logic available in version 2.x. Without the RecordRef or FieldRef types is there a way to allow a "very NON tech" user to select a table and then fields within the table and click a button to export data into excel without creating dataports each time they change the export fields??

Any ideas? :-k

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2008-07-10
    Here's some non-tech.

Can they get to a table or Tabular form of the table?
    & show/hide the columns they want & even throw a few filters in?
    then copy & paste into excel

**EDIT ADDED THOUGHT**
    I wonder if it's ONRUN of a command button possible to
    SENDKEYS Ctrl-A //Select All
    SENDKEYS Ctrl-C //COPY
    Shell(excel.exe)

Then all the person has to do is hit the paste button in excel??
    :-k :-k

how about something like this?
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26657
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Steve wrote:
    Hello All,

I'm looking for a excel exporter that is dynamic like the current contributions, but using the logic available in version 2.x. Without the RecordRef or FieldRef types is there a way to allow a "very NON tech" user to select a table and then fields within the table and click a button to export data into excel without creating dataports each time they change the export fields??

Thanks

A non-tech version is to copy and paste to Excel from the screen.

If you need to batch, you can use dataport to export the data in Navision 2.x in a comma delimited format. Excel will pick up and be able to read .CSV files.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Steve wrote:

Thanks
    Instead of searching for a tool using old technology just perform a technical update of database and all clients to some higher version, V5 for example.

Then you will be able to use all new tools, including all using RecordRefs, Style Sheets tool (which require some development of course), and other new C/AL commands. As a bonus you will get new better debugger :mrgreen:

Slawek

BTW: I have a customer which has 2.6, with objects from version 1.03, running on version 5.0 executables and SQL2005. There were some problems only with porting old OCX components - so test thoroughly before upgrading production database. You will also need a new updated licence, which you will get for free if you have active Maintenace agreement with MSFT
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Savatage wrote:
    **EDIT ADDED THOUGHT**
    I wonder if it's ONRUN of a command button possible to
    SENDKEYS Ctrl-A //Select All
    SENDKEYS Ctrl-C //COPY
    Shell(excel.exe)

Then all the person has to do is hit the paste button in excel??
    :-k :-k
    You can use this download Clipboard Automation Server for C/SIDE Applications to send data to the Clipboard. The drawback is that this tool needs to be installed on every client.

I agree with Slawek, that a technical upgrade is the best option.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    This is assuming the client is current on their annual enhancement plan.

Another reason why clients should be current. Stuff that worked 5 years ago will eventually not work...

Just like my pick up lines. :(
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Alex Chow wrote:

In a perfect world, yes. But if you make no changes for years, it sure feels like a lot of $$$ given away for nothing or if something "Might"be needed. So many companies have to drop it to help thru the lean times.
    Savatage wrote:
    Alex Chow wrote:

In a perfect world, yes. But if you make no changes for years, it sure feels like a lot of $$$ given away for nothing or if something "Might"be needed. So many companies have to drop it to help thru the lean times.

Well... The same argument can be said about insurance. Some people drop their insurance if they're tight on cash.

The enhancement plan with Microsoft, in a way, is like an insurance. You can opt not to be current on it, but when you need it, you'd be kicking yourself in the butt if you don't have it.

Personally, I think you need the insurance to protect the most important asset in the company. I mean Navision of course. :wink:
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    If Steve doesn't have maintenance agreement active he may try to download standard 3.70 and check ih his licence allows running 3.x version. I think if he had just one year maintenance his licence should allow that.

It would be nice to have 5.0 executables, and three new export buttons in the toolbar (btw I think they might be reprogrammed so it would be really user friendly solution :) ), but 3.70B is enough as it also allows for using RecordRefs.

Regards,
    Slawek.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • SteveSteve Member Posts: 81
    Hello All,

Thanks for the healthy conversation, but it's not my license nor my company. This was a client I worked for in the past that approached me to assist with this problem. I agree with the upgrade recommendation, but without extra $$$ to play with and not under maintenance can get real $$$.

So I agree that upgrade recommendation is the best course of action, but understanding there policy I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Thanks
    Steve
  • MagnetoMagneto Member Posts: 18
    Steve wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks

I believe there is a granule you can purchase that that will add excel functionality to all reports. You will need a developer's license to run to as it requires exporting the report to a text file. Ask your solution center about it.
  • MagnetoMagneto Member Posts: 18
    If you want to import/export to Navision 5.00 via Excel, you can use RIM. It's very easy to use and you can easily add customized fields. It was added by MBS for data migration in 5.00. It's actually slick.