Navision restore problem - company name does not exist

davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
I made a Navision backup (Nav5SP1 executables; Nav5 objects) of a Navision database backing up only 1 of the three companies. Then I created a new (empty) database. When I restore the company or just the application objects and common data, when it comes to the end of the restore, I get the message that company name (of the next company in the original) does not exist.
According to the doc, this should work.
Am I wrong or is there some other problem?

Comments

• KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    This message comes up frequently when you switch between databases. I get that all the time when developing. The client is trying to find the last company used ( that of in the other DB ). Just log in, it's no problem.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I did - the database was empty.
    If I restored no compnies - just common objects, then the missing company error switched to the company I had been trying to restore.

I finally gave up and made a backup of all companies and restored them.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Dave,

I think your problem is caused by the backup. If I'm correct then you have the "Data common to all Companies" ticked when you backed up the one company. This backs up tables like the security table which has links to the other companies - hence giving you the error.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    That would be it - just needed one company. That means if there is cutom common tables, they would need to be created first in a standard database before restoring a single company.
    I was trying to save space and time on a customer backup to a development system.