Tuning

doubtfiredoubtfire Member Posts: 60
I am new to Navision. Should the tuning be done under Navision or under SQL database !? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Depends if you are tuning for native or SQL-DB. :wink:
    If you need to tune for SQL, best use a SQL-DB. This way you can immediately do some small test to see what happens.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• doubtfiredoubtfire Member Posts: 60
    In regards to SQL-DB, I could follow the procedure. Could you please tell me more about the Navision side tuning ? Thanks.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Please search the forum for SQL Performence etc. there are tons and tons of posts.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    doubtfire wrote:
    In regards to SQL-DB, I could follow the procedure. Could you please tell me more about the Navision side tuning ? Thanks.
    "Navision side tuning" : you mean native DB tuning?

That is quite more complicated then SQL-tuning. Here you have to search the indexes that are not needed, check if they are not used and if they are used, change programs to use another index.
    You can also use client monitor while working to check were bad keys are used.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Merci. So usually Navision users would turn to the SQL- tuning rather than the native Navision tuning, which is more complicated ? Does Navision itself has a tuning program, if yes where or relies on third add-on application !?
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I think you've hit on 2 key issues. Application/Code tuning and Database Tuning. These are 2 very different issues and both can have profound effects on how well Navision will perform.

How code is written in Nav, particularily the keys and the looping structures used play a very large part in how well code runs in Navision. This is where a sr. Navision development resource can have a lot of impact by writing well performing code an coming up with a good architecture.

On the SQL/Nav Database side of things this is where having a good maintenacne plan and database architecture come into play. Are the indexs refreshed and updated on a regular basis, are the database files and disks well optimized.

Normally you need to tackle both of these areas (application and database) to ensure you get the best performance. You can have amazing hardware and a well managed DB....but if you have really badly written application code it can still grind to a halt (and vice versa). As Mark said there are lots of posts on mibuso....just try seraching for performance or optimization.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. May I conclude the two parts of tuning with the 1st one being the application and the 2nd part on the database. If the database used relies on MS-SQL, then the tuning should be done on the SQL server and not the Navision side ?
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The best way (IMO) to tune a NAV database on SQL Server is to use whatever tools you are comfortable with to identify which tables have problems. This could be tools on SQL Server, or tools within NAV. When it is time to modify table definitions though, you should make those changes from within the NAV table designer, and NOT directly in SQL Server.

First you tune the tables, then you look at the code. tuning the code takes a LOT more time than tuning tables. With the proper help, you could have a good chunk of your database tuned and running much more quickly within a few days.

Browse around for more information on this forum though, there is a lot of good advice.
    OK. Sir. Fair enough. Thanks.