Key

brijlesh.pbrijlesh.p Member Posts: 32
What is BackupKeys?
Brijlesh Pandey

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Where did you find this "backupkeys"?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2008-07-04
    what is a backupkey, was this a property on native databaseengine?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Sandeep_PrajapatiSandeep_Prajapati Member Posts: 151

BackupKey

This property is used by the backup/restore system. Under normal circumstances, you will not need to set it yourself.

Applies to
    Keys

Settings

When BackupKey is... Yes
    The Enabled property of secondary keys will.. be restored during restore
    When BackupKey is... No
    The Enabled property of secondary keys will.. not be restored during restore

Comments
    During backup, secondary keys where the Enabled property is Yes are marked with BackupKey = Yes, and the secondary indexes are not stored in the backup. When the backup is restored, the system checks the setting of BackupKey, reenables secondary keys where BackupKey = Yes, and recreates the indexes.

Therefore, you will normally only see BackupKey as set to No (the default), as it is only set otherwise in the backup. If, however, a restore is suspended during key creation (to be resumed at a later time), you can see - and set - BackupKey.

This is from C/SIDE Reference Guide. However I couldnt find "BackupKey" in the proerties anywhere I tried. :-s
    Sandeep Prajapati
    Technical Consultant, MS Dynamics NAV
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    This is from C/SIDE Reference Guide. However I couldnt find "BackupKey" in the proerties anywhere I tried. :-s
    Neither did I.
    I am thinking this remained in the manual from older versions, but even in older versions, it has never been implemented and now they removed it from the properties, but not from the manual.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    when you backup your database you store data only without indexes.
    When you restore your backup file into a new database all the indexes are recreated which takes quite a lot of time for larger databases. BackupKey property was mean to speed up the restoration process by allowing you to skip keys creation but in practice there are only a limited number of huge tables in the database (ledger tables) for which you can disable keys and have much faster restore without the need for BackupKey property
  • brijlesh.pbrijlesh.p Member Posts: 32
    Hi friends,

When I try to update hotfix 6, then i found a property named as "BackupKey", which is boolean type, for all secondary keys in a table.
    This property is not for primary key.
    but, when i try to find this backup key in navision, i can't found this in navision.

so, if you are able to explain this then you'r most welcome.

thanks
    Brijlesh Pandey
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Eugene wrote:
    when you backup your database you store data only without indexes.
    When you restore your backup file into a new database all the indexes are recreated which takes quite a lot of time for larger databases. BackupKey property was mean to speed up the restoration process by allowing you to skip keys creation but in practice there are only a limited number of huge tables in the database (ledger tables) for which you can disable keys and have much faster restore without the need for BackupKey property

Its very interesting that you say this, because when the property was first introduced, this is exactly what PC&C told me that it did, but in fact its totally wrong. We had been told that it should work but didn't. So its good to see that I was not the only one given this information.

I am pretty sure though that the property was removed a few versions back. Or maybe its still there, but hidden from us.
    David Singleton