Where to start on Navision

erpnoviceerpnovice Member Posts: 11
Dear everybody,

Could you please give me some advices to start learning and working with Navision. Better to have some tips, recommended material to learn, which granule should I start first, etc.

Thanks and best regards,
ERP Novice

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    That depends on your situation. Are you an end user, a consultant, a developer? Do you work for a NAV partner, or an end user or are you by yourself? What kind of non-NAV experience do you have? Are you fresh out of college or looking for a career change?

A good start would be the short course called 'introduction to Microsoft Dynamics NAV', followed by 'Finance in Microsoft Dynamics NAV' (which has localized versions so get the right one), 'Trade in...', 'inventory...', followed by whatever specialty area you are going to work in, such as manufacturing, costing, service management, etcetera.

Then if you are going to develop, I'd recommend Dave Studebaker's book over the Microsoft training material, although if you're going to get certified you will need the official training material.

Get the list of available training, and pick and choose. You'll know what you do and don't know. The ones I mentioned above are the ones everyone should do at least once.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from Navision Tips & Tricks forum to Navision forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• erpnoviceerpnovice Member Posts: 11
    DenSter wrote:
    That depends on your situation. Are you an end user, a consultant, a developer? Do you work for a NAV partner, or an end user or are you by yourself? What kind of non-NAV experience do you have? Are you fresh out of college or looking for a career change?

Dear DenSter,

I am looking for a career change. I have applied for Nav Consultant post, and would like to receive advices to make a good start with Nav. Thank you for your advice.

Thank everybody.

Regards,
    ERP Novice
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Good luck on the career change, you will find it is a challenging field to work in, and it can be very rewarding :mrgreen:

As a consultant, the MOST important skill is to understand your customer's business. More important than knowing how NAV works is to know what the business processes mean.

You need to know of course how NAV works (or you wouldn't be qualified to work as a NAV consultant), to figure out where the software and specific customer processes don't match, but the very first step is to understand the process, figuring out how to do it in NAV only comes ater this understanding.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Here are two articles I wrote about this.

Getting started NAV

Learning Dynamics NAV - Dynamics
    David Singleton
  • erpnoviceerpnovice Member Posts: 11
    What a useful information that you've brought to me. I am now can start with Navision.

Have a nice day to everybody.

Thank you very much.
    ERP Novice