Developer License- How to control the accessibility

RI0207RI0207 Member Posts: 17
This case is Solved. Thanks for all suggestions... Appreciate all efforts

Problem

How to control the users from accessing the Object designer as we had lot of Super Users. Other than revamping roles n permissions is there any other way ? Our's is a heavily customised Database

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    'roles and permissions' is the way. You will need to take SUPER user privileges away from some users.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    give them the permission Super (Data), and ALL.
    Then he can do all, but can't open the object designer

regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can use system permissions to permit running object designer functionality.

You can use Object permissions (Table, Report, etc.) Insert,Modify and Delete to prevent users to Insert,Modify, Delete the objects...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    :shock: :roll: :shock:

It would concern me greatly that you developing on a live server. I would suggest that you leave the original license on the server and build a development enviornment where you can load the development licence. For small modifications you can "change" to the development licence.

My $0.02 anyway
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • RI0207RI0207 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Dave,
    I also dont want to upload the Dev. License to Live Server , but there is no choice. We had requested for additional sessions and as per our partner, microsoft has cut it on the top of our developer license as they say will only keep 1 license. SO we are in the state of 'No Choice'..Is this the way ?

Hi Kine
    There are a lot of customisations in our Database. Roles n Permissions are not set the the full extend and so have given SUPER permissions to users. The setting of permissions at the corresponding 'Object Levels' will be a teedious / time consuming process with testing involved. I was thinking is there any way that we can block users from touching 'OBject Designer"

Hi garak
    I tried SUPER(Data) , but users are hitting permission errors in customised areas :)

Thanks for all suggestions though....
    with the Role "Super (Data)"

permissions
    Object Type	Object ID	Object Name	Read Permission	Insert Permission	Modify Permission	Delete Permission	Execute Permission	Security Filter
    Table Data	0		Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	 	

And the Role "ALL"
    Object Type	Object ID	Object Name	Read Permission	Insert Permission	Modify Permission	Delete Permission	Execute Permission	Security Filter
    Table	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    Form	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    Report	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    Dataport	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    Codeunit	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    XMLport	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    MenuSuite	0		 	 	 	 	Yes	
    System	2510	Edit, Find	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	2520	Edit, Replace	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	3220	View, Table Filter	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	3230	View, FlowFilter	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	3410	View, Sort	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	3510	View, Design	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	
    System	5830	Tools, Security, Password	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	

the users has full access, but can't open object designer

Regards
    yes, the Objet permissions are already tagged accordingly as per adviced (i think by std it already had it) , but still got permission errors in customised forms/ field
    Hi Dave
    Our Development will be carried over in the Dev. Server itself. But need to upload Dev. License to the Live Server coz additional sessions have been cut on the top of it... So want some way to block users accessing Object Designer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    DaveT wrote:
    :shock: :roll: :shock:

It would concern me greatly that you developing on a live server. I would suggest that you leave the original license on the server and build a development enviornment where you can load the development licence. For small modifications you can "change" to the development licence.

My $0.02 anyway

This is unfortunately not possible. Microsoft wont (or at least wouldn't) cut a reduced license.

I know one customer that specifically bought two licenses, one with lots of users, one with the solution developer etc. to get around this, but not many people can afford that.

Unfortunately Dave your solution of purchasing two licenses is just ridiculously expensive.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    What about taking away insert, modify and delete permissions to the Object table?
    Hi, With just a bit of workaround and by following the suggestions through this forum we managed to achieve what we want. Assigned users as SUPER(Data) with a customised - ALL permissions . After this some users hit error in some areas and we explore those area and fine tune the permissons accordingly, which eventually solved the issue.

Thanks to all ...Great Job =D>
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Glad you are making it work, well done =D>
    congratulations, =D>
    can you please write [SOLVED] infront of your subject if you request is finished. Thanks

Regards