Navision 2.6 Native - NTFS Block Size

dleedlee Member Posts: 3
edited 2008-07-01 in Navision Financials
Hello,

I have a native Navision 2.6 database that is currently 31 gigs in size on one .FDB file (not split) and located on a single RAID 1 disk array (10K rpm 36 gig drives). The system partition is located on another raid controller and another set of RAID 1 disks. The memory setup is 2 gigabytes with 850mb configred for DBMS cache, and cache commit is on. The processor is a Xeon 2.4 Ghz setup with HT enabled. Server OS is Windows 2000.

Generally we have 70 - 90 users logged into the database during normal business hours.

I need to expand my database some more but have no more disk space left and was wanting to rebuild the server on Win 2003 anyhow so have been reading all the posts on performance.

So I am going to create 4 RAID 1 arrays. 1 being system, and the other 3 being for a split database (3 database files of 20 gigs each).

I was wondering if there was a preferred NTFS block size to use on the volumes that hold the Navision native database?

Regards
Darren

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    For a native DB, I never read anything myself on a preferred NTFS block size. I would go for the standard 4KB block size.
    The most important part on performance is as much spindles as possible and best to use RPM15000-disks.

One thing I don't know, though: I just read the installation pdf of NF2.60 and it doesn't mention WIN2003. Probably because it didn't exist yet => I am not sure 2.60 works on a WIN2003 server. Probably there is no problem, but I would do a beta install first and test it well.
    If there are some problems (or you can do this anyway), you can do a technical upgrade to 4.00SP3.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• dleedlee Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.

It definately runs ok on 2003 server.