Hello.
This is my "first" question.

Do you have any reservation agains modifying the Company table

table 2000000006

or any table in that range.

Thanks.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I don't think you will be able to, and if you were, I would advise against it.
  • IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
    Just adding some fields, and yes you can modify it.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It depends on for what purpose you want to add some field there. If there is another way etc..
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I'd add fields to the Company Information table and leave the Company table alone. Everything in the 2000000000 range I try staying away from.
  • IBSIBS Member Posts: 29
    I guess I don't get a good reason, except for fear of uncertainty. Probably because of lack of documentation.

Thanks.
    No I don't have any fear of uncertainty. I just have a lot of experience with bad things happening when people start messing around with NAV system tables.

Do what you want, I could care less if you screw up your system, just be aware that a lot of experienced people around here offer a more common alternative (make your modifications to table 79 - Company Information). Everything else is at your own risk, although there are people here who will help in return for proper compensation :mrgreen:
  • couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
    Does this also has anything to do with record size? Company Information table is much larger than Company table. Is it better to only load smaller table if only one field was needed?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    couberpu wrote:
    Does this also has anything to do with record size? Company Information table is much larger than Company table. Is it better to only load smaller table if only one field was needed?
    How many times per second do you think to request the record in this table?
    There is only 1 record, so before you start your procedure to check/post/process/... 1.000 or 1.000.000, you do a get on that table and you don't need to do it anymore.
    If it is in some trigger launched by some user-action, I wouldn't worry neither.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I have done this once for a client in 3.7.
    We needed a cross reference number for every company, and the company independent table. So that every company needed to know what other company cross reference was.

Client didn't want to create a new table to be maintained.
    They have upgraded to 4.0 and 5.0.

I've seen User table 2000000002 Name field being increased because of overflow.

I would follow better safe then sorry motto.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    My answer to questions like this are similar to the guy that goes in to the Rolls Royce dealer.

He asks the sales man "How much is this Rolls Royce"
    The salesman replies "If you have to ask then you can't afford it".

I know it does not make sense to say this, but basically if you are not sure, then you really shouldn't be experimenting.

I have often added new fields to the NAV system tables. For example I had a project that required a highly integrated inventory system between multiple companies. Fields added to the company table controlled the creation of new items, and their distribution to the other companies. The solution made good sense and works fine.

But messing up any of those tables can be disastrous.
    David Singleton