Terminal Server with Dynamics NAV

abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
Dear All,

I want to connect Dynamics NAV through terminal server. I installed terminal server on my server and activate it. what is the next step?

With terminal server,can I connect to the server and just using dymaincs nav without using something else.
Please advice
Ahmad Bani Naser
Dynamics NAV Developer

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Step 1: Don't put it on the same box. (not a requirement, just a design suggestion)

Step 2: Install NAV, setup users and go.

Do you have a more specific question.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
    Dear bbrown,

Can you give more details?......

I have WinXp in my PC and I want to connect to server using Terminal server... what i have to do?????

Please advice
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
    Just connect using Remote Desktop. (Start - Programs - Accessoiries - Communications - Remote Desktop Connection).

Enter the name or IP address for the Terminal Server and click ok. Then login and run Navision. See the Windows documentation for the basic steps for using remote desktop. If you have more specific questions then post them here and we will try to help out.

BTW - You will need to have XP Pro
    Dear BBrown,

I know that I can connect to the server using Remote Desktop. But I don't want the user to connect to the server desktop I want him to just using dynamics NAV.... or any thing like Remote Application.

If you want me to connect to server using Remote desktop. Why I installed the terminal server!..... I can connect without installing the terminal server.

do u understand me... I hope so.......

Thanks in Advance
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
    Remote desktop (the server side) is restricted to admin access only and limited to 2 sessions. I would assume you don't want to grant users admin access to the server.

THe Remote Desktop client (RDP) is used to connect user workstations to a terminal server.

The are a number of ways to do what you want. One is to specify NAV as the user's startup program in their user account setup. Another way is via the use of domain group policies.

BTW - Server 2008 is bringing some nice new features to Terminal Services.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear BBrown,

I know that I can connect to the server using Remote Desktop. But I don't want the user to connect to the server desktop I want him to just using dynamics NAV.... or any thing like Remote Application.

If you want me to connect to server using Remote desktop. Why I installed the terminal server!..... I can connect without installing the terminal server.

do u understand me... I hope so.......

Thanks in Advance

If you want to have possibility just to run the NAV client remotely, try to use Citrix instead Terminal Server. It has build-in functionality to run just the application remotely...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks a lot,

you mean that I can restrict the user and let him using Navision only.

Thanks for your helpfull info
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer