Modeling an Item (Disk + Licence)

taher.bhataher.bha Member Posts: 48
Am trying to find the best way to do the following :
A company sells Software products, Let's say Dynamics Ax (Am using Nav :)).
The final customer recieves One product : Software CD + Licence
The problem is that the company purchases the CD from a CD manufacturer V1 with a low Price (<20$) for reference 'RefX' and has a receipt and and invoice for this Vendor
After some months the company receives an invoice from Ms with the SAME reference 'RefX' the correct Licence Value to apply to the product :
The real product cost will be : 20$ + Ax Licence Price (I think that it's a bit coster than 20$ :) )

My problem is how to get a correct Inventory value during the period prior to Ms Incoice.
My idea was to receive and invoice the CD and and then to create an order with a 'charge (Item)' with the Licence's expected cost and to receive it only and finally to invoice this order when the Ms Incoice's arrives.
The Problem was the receiving the order doesn't change the Inventory value (it does for orders with item purchase lines )

Any ideas ? shall i validate a 1st invoice to update the inventory with an estimated cost and then Create a credit Memo and 3rd recreate an invoice with the correct Item charge ? (I don't think that the tax departement would appreciate)

Can this be modelled using a kit ? What would be the impact on The total Inventory value and the 3 items Costs (RefX, RefX-CD, RefX-Licence)

Thanks for any idea, suggestion

Answers

• vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    I don't think revisors like the idea of upgrading your inventory value because you 'write' something on the CD. Better check the procedure with your accountants and revisors.

Anyway, in France you never know :? you could also use a second item... with an assembly BOM.

Written CD : empty CD + software.

on the use of the BOM journal (after writing the cd) you should test if the value of empty CD and software is considered as the value of the written cd...
  • rthswrthsw Member Posts: 73
    Noone like this and noone use this, and it work not very stable, but maybe it's your solution?
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Dear Rthsw,

can you be more specific?

Does no one like to work with the assembly BOM?
    I have implemented this tool on several occasions, and the standard works fine, if not, please make sure that you log the errors with microsoft, otherwise it will still be unstable for the next 10 years.

though, thanks for following me in a solution.

regards
  • taher.bhataher.bha Member Posts: 48
    Our accountant didn't like the idea of upgrading the inventory without a factual sheet.
    They finally accepted to keep an estimated value of the inventory as an extra into Excel.
    I found no other way to keep an estimative value of the inventory.
    I used a dataport to export the inventory by location with "Unit Cost" into excel (really a csv file renamed as an Excel file).

Thanks to all