Filtering items by dimensions

taher.bhataher.bha Member Posts: 48
Hi all,
Is there an easy way to filter Items based on the Dimensions.
(I know that 'Sales Analysis by dimensions' do that) but my question is whether is it possible to do that directly on the item card form for example.
The idea i have is to create a new field on the item table that should be updated by every insert/modify in the 'Default Dimension' Table.
Is this a good approach ? My colleages are saying that i am usually trying the hard way to do things :)
Thx

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    They are not completely wrong or right, actually. :D

But instead of creating a normal field, I would create a flowfield, pointing to the default dimension table.
    This way you can easily filter on it BUT you don't need to maintain it.

A better way yet, would be to select items by filtering on the default dimension table. But this ONLY allows filtering on the dimensions and NOT on other fields in the table.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• taher.bhataher.bha Member Posts: 48
    Thx Kriki, u'r right : usually the hardest way :)
    My problem was that i confused filtering with sorting that is not possible on flowfield fields. Thx again.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    taher.bha wrote:
    Hi all,
    Is there an easy way to filter Items based on the Dimensions.
    (I know that 'Sales Analysis by dimensions' do that) but my question is whether is it possible to do that directly on the item card form for example.
    The idea i have is to create a new field on the item table that should be updated by every insert/modify in the 'Default Dimension' Table.
    Is this a good approach ? My colleages are saying that i am usually trying the hard way to do things :)
    Thx

Just add Global Dimension 1 and 2 to the Item card or list form. That should do exactly what you want.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    If you want to sort on them, there are some possibilities
    -if they are the first 2 dimensions, you can just add a key on them (the fields are in the item-record)
    -if not, best create a new form, just for the purpose. When opening the form, you can load the items in a temptable (create a new table with the extra fields in it and also indexes to be used as temptable; you don't need to put it in the license if you ONLY use it as temptable!).
    It will be slower to open, but you have your sorting. Best is NOT to use the form for editing the items, you would need to write some code to save it to the real table.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• taher.bhataher.bha Member Posts: 48
    Thank You all. What I like the most in mibuso forums is that you always get an answer :)
    Thx again.