Options

NAV 3.70 on SQL 2008

lubostlubost Member Posts: 615
edited 2010-06-28 in SQL General
Hi,
is it possible to run NAV 3.70 (SQL option) on MS SQL2008?

We want to move from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008. What are the necessary steps to do it?

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Well first you might have to wait until SQL 2008 actually ships. Beyond that I would say no. NAV 3.7 does not run under SQL 2005 so I would not expect it to run under SQL 2008.

MS has already said that they will not be supporting anything prior to 5.0 SP1 on SQL 2008. Even that may need updates. NAV 4.0 SP3 (with updates) may be an exception.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    3.70 is not even supported on SQL Server 2005, so it will certainly not be supported on SQL Server 2008. If you really want to be on SQL Server 2008, then your customer will need to upgrade their NAV executables to the version that is supported on it.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    I tried install NVA 3.70 on SQL 2005 and it runs correctly. Final testing will be done after releasing SQL 2008.

Thanks for all.
  • Options
    lubost wrote:
    I tried install NVA 3.70 on SQL 2005 and it runs correctly. Final testing will be done after releasing SQL 2008.

Thanks for all.

Translation - You have not tripped over the parts that don't work.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Creating a database and being able to connect to the database does not mean "it runs correctly". Even if you can successfully run some of the processes, you WILL run into problems. When you do, Microsoft will not have any support for you, and your NAV partner will not be able to help either.
  • Options
    One place where you WILL have problems is security. You're probably testing as a user with SA rights, so you don't see the problems.
  • Options
    I am aware of danger that MS will not support this combination, but there is the same situation as it is now. Because MS will not support MS SQL 2000 and/or NAV 3.70.
    I tried only main business tasks and these was performed correctly. Thanks for warning due to security. I have to test it.
  • Options
    Why not upgrade? What's the resistance?

By the way, extended support is available on SQL 2000 until 2013. Since 3.70 and SQL 2000 was a common and supported configuration you would probably find some decent support via the forums (like Mibuso).
  • Options
    WigiWigi Member Posts: 13
    Goodday,

It is mentioned in a reply above that MS will not support version prior to nav 5.1 on SQL 2008, Nav 4.3 might be an exception.

Could anybody give me an (MS) URL where I can get this information confirmed?

A customer with a 3.7 datase, on SQL 2005, using the 4.3 client, wants to upgrade to SQL 2008, I therefore need the requested information/confirmation.

Thanks, Wim