SQL Server Trigger - could i execute it from NAV

trsotrso Member Posts: 23
i have read about the possibility to use ADODB to call stored procedures, is it a way i could call a sql server trigger? i have created an insert trigger on a table in sql server, and want this to be trigged when I make an insert in NAV, but it doesn't work. If i try Insert into on a query the trigger works, but not when i insert in NAV

Comments

• Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,
    trso wrote:
    If i try Insert into on a query the trigger works, but not when i insert in NAV

Very strange. It is NOT possible to NOT to fire the SQL table trigger. It is fired by SQL and you have almost no control on it.

What you may check is:
    - is this some kind of nested trigger (trigger which is supposed to be fired by INSERT caused by another trigger) - if yes you need to enable nested triggers on database
    - is the trigger properly defined (lets's say trigger is AFTER INSERT, and you're actually modifying record in NAV, or vice versa)

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    trso wrote:
    i have read about the possibility to use ADODB to call stored procedures, is it a way i could call a sql server trigger? i have created an insert trigger on a table in sql server, and want this to be trigged when I make an insert in NAV, but it doesn't work. If i try Insert into on a query the trigger works, but not when i insert in NAV

Is this a NAV table? If yes. what happens to your trigger code when someone redesigns the table in Object Designer and recompiles?

Making changes to NAV objects outside of NAV is a very BAD idea.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.