Accessing Business Analitics Cubes using SQL BI Dev Studio

NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
Hello,

I already build created cubes in the analysis services of SQL using the business analytics of navision. Question is when I load the license in the Business Analytics client configurator does it also load in the cube? I just need to know this because I need to access the cube and create reports using Visual Studio. And another question, when I already finished creating reports using the visual studio and access the reports using web explorers, does it limit the users to the number of users in the loaded license in the BA Client configurator?

Many Thanks,
Dave
Navision noob....

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The license is only used to license the BA Advanced client. If you are just creating the cubes through BA objects in NAV (BA Basic granule), you do not need the license, just for the NAV...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

Licence for Business Analytics Client (cheaper one) allows you to analyse the cube and generate reports in separate external tool, which is just Targit IT OEM client.

Business Analytics advanced Licence allows you to create and update cubes from NAV. But this functionality doesn't read any cube from SQL Analysis Services. Neither one created by itself, nor any created in external tools. What more the configurator tool recreates the cube every single run - so any modification made in external tool are lost when you try to update the cube definition in NAV

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Make it simple:

BA Basic - you can define and create cube from within NAV and access them from e.g. Excel and SSRS. For accessing the cube you are limited only with SQL license.

BA Advanced - you can configure TARGIT BA Server to use the generated cube and users can use the BA client to access the data. You need to run the BA Configurator which will ask you for the license file to "license" the TARGIT server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    Hi Kine and Slawek,

That was helpfull ideas. Thanks for the time answering my questions.

Dave
    Navision noob....