Create a test company

conorconor Member Posts: 9
Hello there.
I'm using Microsoft Business Solutions - Navision Version 4 SP3
I would like to create a new company for testing.
I would like to copy an up to date version of the database for use with this test company.

I have created a company called IRL TEST.
When open it and try to perform an action i get the following message:
Company Information Primary Key " does not exist

What is the correct process for creating a new company and pointing it towards a test DB?
Thanks

Comments

• rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
    if you want to remove this error message
    Company Information Primary Key " does not exist

then you have to enter information about company in

Administration ->Application setup-> general->Company information

if this kind of error message will occur if you don't have done basic setup which are required.
    read the error message properly. you will solve it by setting up basic information.

hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Experience Makes Man Perfect....
    Rajesh Patel
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    If you want to use a copy of your existing database as a dummy or testing company then just take the backup of your original database, create a new database and restore the backup in the new database.

If you want, you can change the name of the company in your dummy database to whatever you like.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • conorconor Member Posts: 9
    Thanks rajpatelbca I have found the Company information section and will enter what's needed there.
    Thanks also for your suggestion Deep I will use this method for myself
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    conor wrote:
    I would like to copy an up to date version of the database for use with this test company.

Simply filling in new company info will let you achieve what you asked for.

The making a backup, new company, restore is the method.
  • Bogdana_BotezBogdana_Botez Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 4
    A variation on the same theme.

Deep gave the answer on how to create a second test database, containing the Demo company.

If you, instead, want to obtain a single database, containing two Demo companies, here are the steps, in the classic client, for NAV 6 (including SP1):
    1. Backup your current company, let's say it's called "CRONUS International Ltd."
    2. Rename your current company to let's say "CRONUS International Test Ltd."
    3. Restore the backed-up company "CRONUS International Ltd."
    Bogdana Botez
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    boogie wrote:
    2. Rename your current company to let's say "CRONUS International Test Ltd."

If roles assigned to users are company-specific then users will only have acces to the Test company... that's not a good way to go!

It takes more time, but better option is to:
    1. Backup your current company, let's say it's called "CRONUS International Ltd."
    2. Create a new database and restore "CRONUS International Ltd."
    3. Rename the company in the new database to let's say "CRONUS International Test Ltd."
    4. Backup the "CRONUS International Test Ltd." company
    5. Restore the backed-up company in the original database

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.