NAV 5 - CodeUnit 400 - SMTP - intermittent error

NoelineNoeline Member Posts: 54
Hi there

I have been using codeunit 400 to send smtp mail from a form using a command button and intermittently get the error "The transport failed to connect to the server".

There seems to be no pattern to this. I could send 3 in a row and they all work. Then 1 fails. The next few will work. I can even have one fail, and then try again and it works. (same sender, recipient etc)

It takes about 15 to 20 seconds to bring the error message up, by which time the user has usually long moved on. If they are busy with something else and an smtp error pops up it can be confusing.

I imagine it has to do with a timeout or re-try setting somewhere. I just can't seem to find it.

Have any of you experienced this and found an elegant way of dealing with it.

Regards - Noeline

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be the SMTP server is overloaded or there are some network problems between the client and SMTP server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DevInChiDevInChi Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Make sure that the SMTP server does not have a delay set. Also check to make sure that the SMTP server will allow mail to be automatically sent to external email addresses (if that applies to your situation).
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    To me it looks like a spam filter from your ISP. Is this an external or an internal SMTP server. Because often companies will block what may look like spam going out.
    David Singleton