Problem with having 2 NAV server installations

cojnaviworldcojnaviworld Member Posts: 49
Hi all

I have seen a problem I can't explain and haven't seen before:

I have a customer who is running on 4.01 today on their test server we install a 5.01 also as a server so they now have 2 version on the server. We stopped the 4.01 service and started the 5.01 and everything is working PERFECT but the STRANGE thing is that it's possible to open the 5.01 DB from a 4.01 client which never should be possible?? Anyone who can help??

Comments

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    If you've converted 4.0 db to 5.0, then it is possible.
  • rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
    hi cojnaviworld,

as Malajlo suggested.
    if you open version 5.01 database with client 4.01 then first it will ask for database conversion. if user press yes then it is possible to open version 5.01 database in 4.01. but then it is not possible to open open database 5.01 with client 5.01.

Regards,
    Experience Makes Man Perfect....
    Rajesh Patel
  • cojnaviworldcojnaviworld Member Posts: 49
    Yes I know both of those things you write :-) But nothing of those things have happen and it's possible to run from both a 4.01 & 5.01 client HMMM

I might be thinking it's because of the services?? The 5.01 is running but not the 4.01. I really have NO wonder how this can happen
  • BBlueBBlue Member Posts: 90
    What version is the DB? (Open the database through the NAV server or locally and select Help - About Microsoft... it is the first value, the second one is the client version).
    Maybe the database was version 4.01, you removed Navision database server 4.01, installed Navision database server 5.01 with the 4.01 database and this way it is explained...
    I assume that database cannot be opened with a 5.01 client without asking for conversion...
    //Bogdan
    Hey BBlue

Thank you very much for your answer.

The version of the DB is 5.01 and it's possible to open that with the 4.01 client which I DON'T understand, since that should not be possible. It's also possible to open with a 5.01 client and both of the thing can happen WITHOUT conversion.
  • BBlueBBlue Member Posts: 90
    Then it seems that the 5.01 service is giving the 4.01 client acces to the 5.01 native database. If you try to open the db directly with the 4.01 client (without the 5.01 server) I am sure it will give error. If someone can give a more elaborate explanation on this I will be curious too...
    //Bogdan
  • ReinhardReinhard Member Posts: 249
    is there any possibility that you actually have TWO db?
    I can only see that it might be as what BBlue are written since it's the same DB I connect to :-)
    Hi all

I have just shut down the 5.01 service and started the 4.01 and then as what I expected I was NOT able to open the 5.01 DB so there must be something in the 5.01 service who make it possible to run a 5.01 db from a 4.01 client as I see it.