Importing data

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
This is a long shot - Anyone know if its possible to insert rows and fill out fields programmatically in Nav?

I want to import some order data from excel but don't want to have to check all the fields.

I want to import description, qty and price for the currently open order.

I've been looking at the Universal Excel Import tool written by Stawek Guzek but it imports to tables and will require a *lot* of work to use it as the documentation is only partially complete.

Ian

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    what you need is a dataport.

Export the excel data to a TXT file.
    Create a data port & Import.

You sales line data need to contain something like:
    "Order"~"12345"~"Item"~"10000"~"AAA111"~"1"~"Hi Mom"

Order=Document Type
    12345=Document No
    Item=Type
    10000=Line No
    aaa111=Item "No"
    1=Qty
    Hi Mom=Description

A real good sample is the last post on page 1 of this post
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16024
  • imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    Thanks, hadn't thought of using dataports. I'll give it a try.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    imurphy wrote:
    I've been looking at the Universal Excel Import tool written by Stawek Guzek but it imports to tables and will require a *lot* of work to use it as the documentation is only partially complete.
    Ian
    Why a *lot* ?

If you want to insert or update the table you need as a minimum the fields which are in primary key. For importing Order Line it is Document Type, Document No., and Line No. Plus any other fields which are required by you. If you want to create sales line with Item you need to have in Excel also Document Type, Item No, and Quantity. Perhaps Unit Price.

You need all this fields regardless of what you choose - Importer or dataport.

The documentation doesn't cover such a details (and probably will not cover in future releases) because it is not about Importer, it is about your specific table (table 37 - Sales Line) to which you want to import the data.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03