Nav vs GP

janehsonjanehson Member Posts: 3
I was wondering if anyone had information comparing Nav 5 or 6 with GP. I have a client who is looking at GP as another division as GP. I'm wondering where Microsoft is going with all the transition to everything being Microsoft Dynamics and talking and comparing it to other software as if it is one computer software when Ax,Nav and GP are all different. The batching/posting in GP seems very tedious, but I'm sure it has its good points too. This is a manufacturing company and I know that the MS/MRP/SFC is an add-on, where in Nav it is now all integrated. I also know an advantage of GP is that it has ability to be supported by programmers who know VB. Anyone have experience working with both and have any comments? Know any documents comparing the two products?

Thanks,
Jane

Comments

• kalyan_mkkkalyan_mkk Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    GP is strong in financials but it has a limitation in supply chain, like warehouse Management.

GP can be easily integrated with other applications using SCRIBE software, which is not available for navision.

Regards,
    Kalyan
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    janehson wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone had information comparing Nav 5 or 6 with GP. I have a client who is looking at GP as another division as GP. I'm wondering where Microsoft is going with all the transition to everything being Microsoft Dynamics and talking and comparing it to other software as if it is one computer software when Ax,Nav and GP are all different. The batching/posting in GP seems very tedious, but I'm sure it has its good points too. This is a manufacturing company and I know that the MS/MRP/SFC is an add-on, where in Nav it is now all integrated. I also know an advantage of GP is that it has ability to be supported by programmers who know VB. Anyone have experience working with both and have any comments? Know any documents comparing the two products?

Thanks,
    Jane

If you do a search on this forum, there are a ton of discussions regarding this.

One thing about VB programmers, you won't be able to just hire someone with VB experience off the street and expect them to become proficient in GP. Bottom line is, all programming language is the same, it's the logic that hangs.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    C/AL is a lot, lot easier to learn and use than VB.
    Since NAV and GP are both complex business applications, this in my opinion gives the advantage to NAV since a higher percentage of your logical skills can be devoted to the application instead of the complexities of the language.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    the point is not that VB is more complex and harder to learn (though i find both very easy) but that VB is more general language and requires more lines of code to do the same thing so a potential programmer will be more burried in the code itself and will need more effort top wade though code to see the business logic overall picture.
    And without seeing the overall picture of what application is doing you cant write error-prone code

and what about DevToolKit ? Do they have anything similar for VB ?