Change in Company Name

JaspreetJaspreet Member Posts: 10
I am working on Nav NL 4.0 SP2 . The company has undergone a name change and will be operating under the new name starting 15th June. I can simply change the company name and the data in Company Information Table to the new name. But the client wants the documents prior to 15th June to be printed with the old name. How can i do this?

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    May be this:
    A new table with a date and companyname. You just give in two records, like:
    Date        | Company Name
    ----------------------------------
    01/01/0000  | First CompanyName
    15/06/2008  | New CompanyName

It's easy to build some logic in your reports to take this new table into account. And ... if the name changes again, you just can add a new record.

Just an idea.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2008-06-12
    :-k

If all else fails you could always make the name

NewCompanyName formerly OldCompanyName
    :mrgreen:
    You think the above is going to fail?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    what name do they want to show if they run a report using a date range and encompasses both companies?
    Well, I assume that he is talking about invoice, credit memos and that kind of documents :|.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    *Edit* Oops, sorry, I misread your post. Please ignore.

When one of our companies changed names we waited until the close of business the day before, made sure no users could connect, renamed the company, and put the db back in production mode.

If it's a giant database the company rename might take some time. The 15th is on a weekend, though, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Easy and made sense to me.
    Yes, ok, but still .. you can print documents (invoices, cm's, ...) now of the period before the name change. His request was clearly to be able to print the documents with the previous name ... .

Anyway ... not really my problem :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Or you can create copy of the database before renaming the company and use this copy if you want to print some old document... ;-) but this depends on size of the company and how often you need to print something from history.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • JaspreetJaspreet Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I personally liked the 'NewCompanyName formerly OldCompanyName' option the best! :wink:
    Theoretically the option of additonal table appealed to me. But the client eventually wanted us to take a back-up. Restore the same and rename the company. So now Users have to access two databases to access documents for different dates.