How to reproduce navision reports in T-SQL

zaurbzaurb Member Posts: 26
Hi!
I'm new to Navision, so, I'm sorry if some questions might seem stupid :oops:

OK. We're using version 3.70A and SQL Server 2000. There're some reports pre-programmed by our ex-consultant. How can I see what exactly the report does, and how can I reproduce the query in T-SQL to obtain same results as in Navision report?

Any help, ideas, proposals are be greatly appreciated!
Zaur Bahramov

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    This is a HUGE job and in many cases impossible. The logic in the report is much more complex that simple T-SQL can handle...

There is just one way how to learn what it is doing - read and analyze the code...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    A huge job indeed.

The C/SIDE client monitor and the client monitor that comes with the SQL Server resource kit can help you anylize what's going on on SQL Server. Furthermore, you could start a trace (SQL Profiler) which can point you in the right direction as well.

What kind or report are you talking about?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    It would be much easier to figure out what the report is doing on the NAV side.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    If you are current on maintenance, then login to customersource and download training materials for Developer I and II.
    Use them to study the existing reports and write some of your own.

You don't say whether you are an experienced developer.
    If you are, you will find Navision programming extremely easy to learn.

There is a lot of depth to the product, so you can't expect to learn everything at once, but in Navision the simple things truly are simple.