Corrupted database

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi
We have have a customer using Nav 3.7 with SQL Server 2000. Everything seems to work fine. But when performing a backup from within navision, an error is thrown. The message is about "you have to use check database..."
What are the right steps to proceed?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Comments

• strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Hi!

Could you please be more specific? WIth SQL you should NOT perform native NAV backups (FBK) except for very special reasons ...

You should run a SQL Server database integrity check, e.g. DBCC CHECKDB ... what errors are raised?
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    what has this to do with a corrupted database?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    ta5 wrote:
    Hi
    We have have a customer using Nav 3.7 with SQL Server 2000. Everything seems to work fine. But when performing a backup from within navision, an error is thrown. The message is about "you have to use check database..."
    What are the right steps to proceed?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas

go to file->database->information->tables-> filter on a set of tables and click on Test.

Once you've found the table that has the corrupted data, I would look at it in SQL and find what records look different.
    Usually what I've seen is the CODE fields are lowercase. or date fields are not entered properly.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Thanks, I'll load a backup on my testserver and see whats the problem.
    Thomas
    Here the details:

The error message is a huge message box beginning with this text:
    "There is an error in the database structure. The error (1190 in module 19) may have been cause by the computer or a program.
    Table: G/L Account:
    Company:
    Key Fields: No.
    First check the database by clicking File, Database, Test and the click Maximum......"

As a matter of fact the db is still working...

Navision 3.7, SQL Server 2000.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    stryk wrote:
    Hi!

Could you please be more specific? WIth SQL you should NOT perform native NAV backups (FBK) except for very special reasons ...

You should run a SQL Server database integrity check, e.g. DBCC CHECKDB ... what errors are raised?

Hmm I still have clients make a NAV FBK backup form time to time (say once a month) mainly to do consistency checks and to look for SQL induced errors such as (like Rashed suggests) lower case characters in code fields etc that are hard to detect in SQL.

Also to get an off site backup, its often simpler, especially when time is not an issue.

In any case, ta5 you really need to give the full error message, since there are a lot of differnet messages all very similar, and I don't think this is a corrupt database, I think its what Rashed says.
    David Singleton
    Hi all
    I have tested all tables but without the option "Test field relationships between tables". Everything ok, but the error is still there when starting the Nav Backup.
    If I check the tables with the option "Test field relationships between tables", more than 1000 messages pop up because of orphaned records.

Anyway, the customer has not a reason for a Nav Backup right now, but I have never seen this error before and I think something is wrong if its not possible to make a Nav Backup.

Any more inputs on this?

Thanks
    Thomas
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ta5 wrote:
    Hi all
    I have tested all tables but without the option "Test field relationships between tables". Everything ok, but the error is still there when starting the Nav Backup.
    If I check the tables with the option "Test field relationships between tables", more than 1000 messages pop up because of orphaned records.

Anyway, the customer has not a reason for a Nav Backup right now, but I have never seen this error before and I think something is wrong if its not possible to make a Nav Backup.

Any more inputs on this?

Thanks
    Thomas

Well if you don't tell us what the error message is, then we can't really help much :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142