Print spooler problem with Zebra Labelprinters

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
We have an implementation where the NAS is printing to 10 different printers (Zebra Labelprinters of the type LP2844).

We got printspooler problems. There is quite a big load on the spooler of the server (all zebraprinters are configured on a seperate box where the NASses are installed as well). Once in a while, the printing just stops because of the print spooler. Restarting helps, but production is down for that time.. . It shouldn't crash (sometimes it even says the printer doesn't exists :|), but we just don't seem to be able to fix it.

Any idea is highly appreciated...

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    first thing comin'in my mind...SLEEP?
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    do you print with the windows driver or directly to the printer with the zebra nterface language. In Terminal (Citrix) Sessions or local systems :?:
    is it possible, that the printers in sleep mode or offline :?:

We have alse Zebra (2824) and no probs
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    I don’t know this zebra printer model. Problem that I had related to Zebra was always related to printer server. Replacing printer server solved all problems.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    My friend (IT admin) told me recently, that Win have sometime problems that spooler crash... I will try to ask him for some details...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Details: we had problem with printer spooler (printing partially, crashing etc.) on server where were 10 terminal sessions each with locally mapped printers.

Solution was scheduling the Spooler restarts... (SBS 2003 SP2)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    we use the lp2844 with eship - perhps you can see how eship does it's flawless printing?
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    thanks, guys, for your answers (for some reason, I didn't get any notification in my mailbox :| - therefore the late response). I will pass this through to our developers and hope he'll manage to get it stable.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Savatage wrote:
    we use the lp2844 with eship - perhps you can see how eship does it's flawless printing?

Can you tell me more on "eship"?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    nunomaia wrote:
    I don’t know this zebra printer model. Problem that I had related to Zebra was always related to printer server. Replacing printer server solved all problems.

We tried to print on a different server, which involved installing the NAS and printers on the new machine.
    Same problem.

Is this what you mean as well?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    garak wrote:
    do you print with the windows driver or directly to the printer with the zebra nterface language. In Terminal (Citrix) Sessions or local systems :?:
    is it possible, that the printers in sleep mode or offline :?:

We have alse Zebra (2824) and no probs
    We use the windows drivers at the moment. Wouldn't know how to do it directly with the zebra interface, but I'll try to find out.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Most Projects that I worked was interfacing directly with zebra printers.
    I had to open a connection to Zebra TCP port 9100 and insert Zebra commands.

Zebra printers that supported the use XML simplified Zebra commands. Using that feature I could have heavy manufacturing shops working almost 7X24 without any problems.
    I draw the label in ZebraDesigner and then sent label to printer. Then Navision sends XML to zebra to print label with data coming from XML.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    nunomaia wrote:
    Most Projects that I worked was interfacing directly with zebra printers.
    I had to open a connection to Zebra TCP port 9100 and insert Zebra commands.

Zebra printers that supported the use XML simplified Zebra commands. Using that feature I could have heavy manufacturing shops working almost 7X24 without any problems.
    I draw the label in ZebraDesigner and then sent label to printer. Then Navision sends XML to zebra to print label with data coming from XML.

Ok, thanks nuno. I will try to figure this out (the SP2844 is a rather simple machine, so I doubt this is possible).

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    This printer accepts ZPL Zebra language. So just install a "generic Text Printer" and call it "Zebra ZPL", remove the left margin of your report and send Zebra commands. It's fast.

You can use the Zebra designer to create your label (text, barcodes, etc.) and use the created ZPL commands in your report.