Dealing with Overseas items

pa_toupa_tou Member Posts: 155
Hi !
what is the best way to achieve this scenario.
I purchase goods from India ( different overseas locations) , at the time that goods are on the boat , they become my property.
Whan goods are on the boat, supplier sent me all papers with all info regarding quantities that they put on the boat. Later Items need to go to bounded and after available in distribution warehouse for picking or shipping.
any idea knowing that I will use WMS for receiving and shipping.
thanks

Comments

• NAV_1909NAV_1909 Member Posts: 12
    You could receive your purchase orders into a Location Code called "On the Water" once you have taken ownership of the goods and then bring them into your actual Location Code using a Transfer Order once they have cleared Customs. Maybe not using WMS in the OTW location but still using WMS in your actual Location. This would allow you to show the inventory on your Balance Sheet but keep it segregated from your inventory available to ship until it is actually in your primary warehouse location.
  • pa_toupa_tou Member Posts: 155
    Thanks Nav_1909 . I think I will explore that idea as I do not want to have another WMS location just for intransit goods. However as I still need to have a PO that should be receive into my Bounded Warehouse , how this can be done. Even if gods are mine , I still need to receive them and validate physical received quantities.
    other ideas are welcome....
    NAV_1909 wrote:
    You could receive your purchase orders into a Location Code called "On the Water" once you have taken ownership of the goods and then bring them into your actual Location Code using a Transfer Order once they have cleared Customs. Maybe not using WMS in the OTW location but still using WMS in your actual Location. This would allow you to show the inventory on your Balance Sheet but keep it segregated from your inventory available to ship until it is actually in your primary warehouse location.
    Another concern.
    How do do you make sure that the PO is still open when he physical receiving will be done.
    In fact I need to be able to see my goods in inventory as soon as they are on the boat, also to pay those goods and finally manage my real receiving.
    Thanks
    NAV_1909 wrote:
    You could set your Purchase Orders to be received into the "Boat" location code. Once you are notified that the goods have shipped and receive your commercial documents (I assume you are receiving against a Commercial Invoice) then receive the goods from your Purchase Order into the "Boat" Location. They will now be visible in your inventory. You can Invoice your PO and pay it. Once the goods "physically" arrive you can do your manual counts and then place them on a Transfer Order to your "Warehouse" location. Ship the Transfer order and receive the transfer order. Now the goods will be available in your "Warehouse" location. You'll have some ins and outs in your balance sheet from the multiple transactions but you'll have financial and virtual possession throughout the process this way.

Maybe another option: You could receive them into your "Warehouse" Location once you are notified that they have shipped, but do your Put-away to a "Boat" Bin Code that you block movement on until the goods have physically arrived and then un-block it and do a movement to one of your pick-able bins.

I like the first option simply because I then do not have to worry about my sales people trying to sell inventory that has not made it to my physical warehouse yet and it provides me a nice trail for the auditors and a controlled process.

Those are my two thoughts
    Thanks for your reply.
    Me also I think the first option is a a good start.
    However my question now is , how can i scan my items when I receive goods as I need to be able to match the packing slip with the PO.
    Thanks
    NAV_1909 wrote:
    You could set your Purchase Orders to be received into the "Boat" location code. Once you are notified that the goods have shipped and receive your commercial documents (I assume you are receiving against a Commercial Invoice) then receive the goods from your Purchase Order into the "Boat" Location. They will now be visible in your inventory. You can Invoice your PO and pay it. Once the goods "physically" arrive you can do your manual counts and then place them on a Transfer Order to your "Warehouse" location. Ship the Transfer order and receive the transfer order. Now the goods will be available in your "Warehouse" location. You'll have some ins and outs in your balance sheet from the multiple transactions but you'll have financial and virtual possession throughout the process this way.

Maybe another option: You could receive them into your "Warehouse" Location once you are notified that they have shipped, but do your Put-away to a "Boat" Bin Code that you block movement on until the goods have physically arrived and then un-block it and do a movement to one of your pick-able bins.

I like the first option simply because I then do not have to worry about my sales people trying to sell inventory that has not made it to my physical warehouse yet and it provides me a nice trail for the auditors and a controlled process.

Those are my two thoughts
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I think it is better to work with a different location and not a different bin.
    This way you avoid the Warehouse-shipment/picking. If you don't have it, you don't need to buy it. If you have it, you avoid to use it for this, making your life/and serverperformance somewhat easier.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

I think you are going to have to make some sort of a trade off here... you are wanting to take possession in NAV before you have actually touched the inventory, so your initial receipt into Inventory will be blind and I do not see a way around this. Your check against your physical PO would occur at the point in time that you actually have the inventory in front of you physically.

If by "scan" you mean ADCS, E-Receive or by some other method then you would "scan" your inventory from the Transfer Order not the Purchase Order. This is going to involve some strict procedural steps since you will already be showing the inventory in your sub-ledger by the time any person actually sees the inventory.

And I agree with Kriki I do not like the Bin idea either, I think the seperate location is the cleanest approach.
    Thanks both of you. So to resume this will be the flow:
    Use 2 locations( warehouses) : OTW and MAIN.
    - Create a PO and receive through the OTW ( when receiving all papers from my supplier overseas).

Yes I will use e-receive and ADCS for receiving and Shipping.
    So when goods are on the boat,
    - Create transfer order
    - Ship the transfer order
    - Scan the transfer order when receiving is done from the MAIN Warehouse

Now I am not use of the transfer part opf that process?
    - How can i link that transfer order to PO?
    - How can I scan or ship from OTW trough MAIN?
    - More important, how can i manage my cost once goods are receive in the Main location and I need to add duty charges on them . ( I have standard cost but I also need to account for duty charges when goods are out of bounded warehouse).

Thanks for clarifying that part.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    pa_tou wrote:
    - More important, how can i manage my cost once goods are receive in the Main location and I need to add duty charges on them . ( I have standard cost but I also need to account for duty charges when goods are out of bounded warehouse).

To link between PO and TO, you will need to write some code, add some new fields,... What to write? Depends on your needs. You will need to analyse what you want to do and then program it. You already know that The OTW - MAIN is useful, know you need to analyse what more you need to get to your solution of the problem.
    Costs : you can use the Item charges to do that. What to do : analyse it and do some tests to see how it can be used.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Thanks Krikri. I will go with that solution.
    kriki wrote:
    pa_tou wrote:

To link between PO and TO, you will need to write some code, add some new fields,... What to write? Depends on your needs. You will need to analyse what you want to do and then program it. You already know that The OTW - MAIN is useful, know you need to analyse what more you need to get to your solution of the problem.
    Costs : you can use the Item charges to do that. What to do : analyse it and do some tests to see how it can be used.