How Web Services can communicate to Nav?

logu_cbelogu_cbe Member Posts: 54
Hi Guys,

We need to create one web service which needs to communicate with Nav and return data to other .net product.

For Ex. in third party product (.net product) while it asks for stock of one item stored in Nav, our web service needs to access the Nav and send the stock info to the product.

How can we achive this? Any inputs?

Thank you,
Logu

Comments

• rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
    if you want to access Navision Data in any other external application. then you can achieve this by using NAS(Navision Application Server) With Meassage Queue.

search this forum form more detail about Message Queue and NAS.

Regards,
    Experience Makes Man Perfect....
    Rajesh Patel
  • logu_cbelogu_cbe Member Posts: 54
    HI,

Thanks a lot for your immediate reply...

Our .net developer saying that MSMQ is asynchronous data transfer.

We would like to have a Web service which communicate Nav directly and get the info immediately.

Any inputs?

Thanks in Advance,
    Logu
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    MSMQ can be used to implement solutions for both asynchronous and synchronous messaging scenarios.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ara3n wrote:
    MSMQ can be used to implement solutions for both asynchronous and synchronous messaging scenarios.

But are not running under 64bit OS... or are they?

There are good examples of how to create your own WebService for NAS:

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25204
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • logu_cbelogu_cbe Member Posts: 54
    Thanks a lot for you guys.

Kine: As the solution suggestd by you using framework 3.0, our developer saying he could not use it. :(

ara3n: You have suggested that MSMQ for Synchronous transfer also. Can you pls. let me know how we can implement?

Following is our scnario
    1. Webservice will send Unique ID and SKU code as a object from Web site
    2. NAS needs to get that parameter.
    3. Codeunit should be there to parse that parameter and get the stock for given SKU.
    4. Codeunit must return availablity with Unique ID and SKU code

At a single point of time we may get multi number of requests for a stock. Will MSMQ work for us?

Can you pls. let me know how we can implement?

Thanks in Advance,
    Logu
    Also you can be inspired by this download:

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=599

There is example how to create the WebService using MSMQ...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    And one thing - because MSMQ is not working under 64bit OS on NAV, you can take the example for WebService on MSMQ and connect it with the first example of WebService based on .net 3.0, connect them and you have solution able to work with older .nets but working under 64bit... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    There are a couple of different ways that you can approach this.

If you need to have read and update data in Navision then using MSMQ and NAS is a good solution (and probably the best if you're using Navision Server)

However if you are only reading data (and running on SQL) and you just want to get Inventory Levels or other information from Navision (i.e. you are not doing anything to update Navision tables) then you could just build a webservice in .Net that accesses the Navision tables directly (through ADO.Net). This may be faster to implement and has reduced support requirements as you do not need to worry about NAS or MSMQ.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com