Options

Performance in SQL

xavigepexavigepe Member Posts: 185
edited 2008-06-05 in SQL Performance
Hello. I have a customer working with Navision 4.0 SQL version for one year and a half. When database has become larger some tasks are getting too slow (such as displaying inventory in item's card). Is Optimize the only way to improve performance in SQL?. Is there any other options or whitepapers to read about?.

Thanks so much,

Comments

• Options
    rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
    hi,

look at this link you might get some idea.

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... erformance
    Experience Makes Man Perfect....
    Rajesh Patel
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Search this site. You will find lots of advice/discussion on the subject. If you still have questions then try to post more specific questions. This is too broad and complex an issue.

As a short answer, yes there is more that can be done. These range for hardware configuration to code design to database maintenance.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Thanks so much rajpatelbca, in the link there are some ideas I should use.
  • Options
    Most performance problems occur in the sales order form when changing from one order to the next one (clicking the NEXT navigation button). We don't have additional code when changing record. How can I check what is happening? Could be code coverage useful?

Thanks,
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    If they are on maintenance they can upgrade to NAV 5 SP1 executables.
    You can fo through the SQL database documentation from Microsoft which has some great tips.
    Plus you could pay one of the SQL Server experts in Europe to spend some time with you and show you how to tune their site.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Codecoverage is not useful in this. You need to use Client Monitor to see what is going on.But first, try to ead through some documentation like Performance Troubleshooting guide and some posts on this forum...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    xavigepe wrote:
    ...We don't have additional code when changing record. ...

It does not need to be 'Code" per se, it could be flow fields or a number of other things.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Dmytro_Sitnik_[MSFT]Dmytro_Sitnik_[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 4
    xavigepe wrote:
    Hello. I have a customer working with Navision 4.0 SQL version for one year and a half. When database has become larger some tasks are getting too slow (such as displaying inventory in item's card). Is Optimize the only way to improve performance in SQL?. Is there any other options or whitepapers to read about?.

Thanks so much,

You should consider upgrading to 5.0 SP1. It has a lot of performance improvements for NAV SQL.
    SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER

NAV Sustained Eng

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
  • Options
    jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I've seen this become a problem several times and if upgrading to the latest & greatest version is not possible I would certainly look at the number of flowfields that are being displayed on the form.

As all of the those flowfields have to be calculated at run time there's a lot of summing going on over a lot of data to perform those calculations and update the form when you move from record to record. In the past i've pulled all of the flow fields off the form and put them onto a seperate form (like a statistics form) that the user has to click a button or function key to open. This allows users to switch between simple sales order forms easily and then if they need more details they can easily get to them.

Even if this helps it's still important to run regular maintenance so that the keys and SIFT tables are optimized.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    "Dmytro wrote:
    "]
    xavigepe wrote:

Thanks so much,

You should consider upgrading to 5.0 SP1. It has a lot of performance improvements for NAV SQL.

If the issue is flow fields, then wont 5.0 SP1 be slower?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    "Dmytro wrote:
    "]

SP1 is definately NOT faster in all scenario's

We did some deep testing for customers who were considering.

Problem is that SP1 has VSIFT which is a dramatic change.

It is much better and recommended (by me :mrgreen: ) to move to the last 4.0 SP 3 runtime which has the bugfix for the index scans.

Al of the rest can be solved with normal SQL tuning.

In fact I want to make a bold statement and request: Ractivate the sift levels for the indexed views! that way we are much much more flexible and some flowfields which are causing nightmares now will be back fast.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    according to the NAV blog site, SQL Server 2005 will have much better performance than SQL Server 2000.
    Does this hold true in your testing?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, definitely, mainly if running on 64bit... but sometime it is hard to compare, because migration to MS SQL 2005 are in common connected to migrating to new HW with more RAM and CPU and better HDDs... (and you need to take into account different requests for optimizing the indexes...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL Performance forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    davmac1 wrote:
    according to the NAV blog site, SQL Server 2005 will have much better performance than SQL Server 2000.

As Kamil sais the performance gain is usualy caused by SQL2005 x64 having access to more resources.

SQL2000 and SQL2005 x86 does not have much difference. 2005 can even cause unwanted features in index scanning.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    davmac1 wrote:

As Kamil sais the performance gain is usualy caused by SQL2005 x64 having access to more resources.

SQL2000 and SQL2005 x86 does not have much difference. 2005 can even cause unwanted features in index scanning.

What about SQL 2000 x64 vs. SQL2005 x64?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.