Roles and permissions setup in native database

BlackMagicBlackMagic Member Posts: 38
Hello people.

Next week i had to go setup roles and permissions for a company with 100 employeer using NAV 3.6.

I know in NAV 5.0 with MSSQL database, I have to setup the roles in both in NAV 5.0 and on the SQL server.

But my customer is not using MSSQL but the Navision native database - do I then only need to set it up in Navision? Are there any other issues about roles and permission I should be careful about?

I have another question, I tried setup roles and permissions in a Cronus base in my local computer and give it access to the Sales related functionality (using some of Navision already permissions setup). How do i manage to give the user access only to the functionality he has access to in the navigation panel? Right know the panel is empty.

Thank for advance.

BlackMagic

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Roles and Permissions are setup the same way in either database. Even with the SQL version you set the Roles and Permissions up in Navision only. You don't need to set up permissions in SQL for regular users. The exception is for users performing admin or development task. They may need to be added to standard SQL roles.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) In the Navigation pane you can see only items you have access to
    2) Do not forget about the role ALL...
    3) If customer is using Windows Authentication, it is better to assign the roles to some AD group and assigning roles directly to users only if they need some specific access different from the defined groups. Than you just needs to add the user account into NAV and make them member of correct AD group and you are done.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BlackMagicBlackMagic Member Posts: 38
    Thank both of you for the answers.

I think now it work. But my client is using NAV 3.6, is there anyway to modify the Menu bar / Menusuite to fit of permissions of the users? By that i mean, if a user only have access to sales related functions, then he can only se these functions in the Menu bar? Or that is not possible with the old NAV 3.6?
    this was done in NAV 3.70 but it use some new function in 3.70 to do that. I recommend to do technical upgrade to latest version which can customer use with his license (if he can use 3.70 or higher) and than you can took the menu from 3.70 and use it (of course, you will need to merge your customization into it...).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Okie, but is the Menu from 3.60 and 3.70 not the same? I mean it was first in NAV 4.0 they are going to usethe new Menusuite.
    BlackMagic wrote:
    Okie, but is the Menu from 3.60 and 3.70 not the same? I mean it was first in NAV 4.0 they are going to usethe new Menusuite.
    Yes, but menu from 3.70 include some C/AL code doing the submenu variable based on the permissions (hiding items which user has no permissions for etc.)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Ok i will try to consult my client about that. Thank you very much.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    BlackMagic wrote:
    Hello people.

Next week i had to go setup roles and permissions for a company with 100 employeer using NAV 3.7b.

I know in NAV 5.0 with MSSQL database, I have to setup the roles in both in NAV 5.0 and on the SQL server.

But my customer is not using MSSQL but the Navision native database - do I then only need to set it up in Navision? Are there any other issues about roles and permission I should be careful about?

I have another question, I tried setup roles and permissions in a Cronus base in my local computer and give it access to the Sales related functionality (using some of Navision already permissions setup). How do i manage to give the user access only to the functionality he has access to in the navigation panel? Right know the panel is empty.

Thank for advance.

BlackMagic

This is an extraordinary request. My first comment will be to make sure that your client has a lot of money for this project because it is going to be very expensive. There are two key issues here.

1/ How did a company with 100 users manage to use Navision for 5 or 6 years without security. To go back now after all these years and activate security is going to have a huge impact on their day to day processes, and involve a lot of user retraining.

2/ sorry to say this, but if you have never done this before, then starting on a 100 user system that is already in production for so long, is not the place to start learning. And "I tried setup roles and permissions in a Cronus base in my local computer" is just not enough. You really need to have one of your more experienced consultants out there to do this.
    David Singleton
    Hello David.

Thank for you comments.

My client have just give all the user SUPER permissions in the NAV so they have access to all the functionalities in the system, however there are users who is only using a small part of functionality in NAV.

I know this is a big project, but is the project that huge as you describe?

I cant really ssee how it can give a huge impact on the user daily processes with applying the roles and permissions. The plan is not to give the user a tight restrictions but just to restrict them from the head functionalities that they are not using. Especially my client is not feeling cool by give all users access to the finance part.

And may I ask how come the user retraining as you describe? I ask because I can't imagine it, and not because I'm not trusting in you words :).

As I know this a some big project so I have do the preparation. My plan is taking a meeting with my client and figure out which user groups we have in the firm. The plan will be to make 4-5 permissions groups which fit the user funtions in the firm.

To implement the process and test, my approach will be to take one person in each user group and delegate him the role so that I have one testperosn to each group I created. I let these user try working with the new roles, and I will give more permissions as needed until they got access to all functionality of their daily works and then I will begin to apply ng the roles to the rest of the group members.

Is that a Ok approach?

We are three people in my department and none of us have experiences with such a big roles and permissions project.

So will just do the best of me and hopefully you will give me some golden inputs :).

Thank for advance.