Barcode Scanner

SilvaSilva Member Posts: 281
Hi

We will implementing NAV 5,but our client will using BARCODE SCANNER for their ITEM...My question is if we needed for Third Party Tool(ex. LSR) to use the Scanner? or NAV 5 can handle That with Third party..hoping for your reply :D TY

Answers

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    you need no 3-rd party tool. Wo use also a scanner to scan serianl numbers / charges or so on. if you scan for example a Barcode with Code128 or a MatrixCode the scanner translate this to simple ASCII format. And this can navision read. Our handscanners are connected on the keybord port.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    As garak said, if you just want to scan the barcodes without further processing, you need no 3rd party software.

Just make sure you get the right connectors (usb, keyboard loop, etc.) and dont forget to test with special characters. Special characters can be translated by the scanner, but this has to be set up and can sometimes be a bit tricky.
    We have made very good experience with scanners from metrologic.

Hope this helps.
  • SilvaSilva Member Posts: 281
    Thanks for your Advise...I will try what you suggest...Thanks :D
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, if you need just fixed scanners (you do not need to go with them through warehouse etc.), keyboard scanners are OK. Just take them as common keyboard which is just fast typing characters which are written as BarCode somewhere.

If you need mobile scanners, you can use e.g. something like Symbol 9090 (PDA with scanner). Than you can use e.g. Terminal client on these scanners to connect to NAV and use some special forms developed for the small screen of the PDA. Than you do not need any special application and you can do all what you need directly in NAV.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Kamil,

The only problem is the number of licences needed - but a sales opportunity :mrgreen:

The other route is to use NAS and possibly ADCS
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    DaveT wrote:
    Hi Kamil,

The only problem is the number of licences needed - but a sales opportunity :mrgreen:

The other route is to use NAS and possibly ADCS

Yes, but it depends on cost of 3rd party application or few NAV sessions... :-) all depends on specific situation...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.