Doubts about a user question on General Journal posting

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
Someone posed me a question regarding the use of General Journals which I don't know how to answer, so maybe someone can help.

When the user posts to a journal they have to type a unique transaction number and document number. If they are entering a number of invoices before registering them then they will increment the transaction number for each invoice.

Since they are working in a team there is no way of knowing the document number until they go to register the transactions.

The user then goes to register the transactions but starts with the first and filters the list by 'Transaction No.'=1. They Press F11 and all goes well. The transaction number is updated to max(registered-transaction-No)+1 and the transaction is written.

The problem comes with the second transaction. It has the same document number as the first. When you press F11 Navision will update the transaction number but does not touch not the document No. The register action then fails because the document No. already exists.

I am about to sit down and look at what I can do to make this simpler via code - but I'd like to know if there is something wrong with what they are doing.
It seems reasonable enough to want to enter dozens of invoices in one go and to then sort out the problems with Tax, payment forms and terms, etc. and then finally register everything.

Ian Murphy

Comments