Adjust Cost Always & Sales Posting

marblemarble Member Posts: 11
Hallo,

simplifying, our typical situation can be described as...

The costing method is FIFO

Day 1 Post a Purch Reciept for 10,000 pcs
Day 1 to Day 30 Post 500 Sales Invoices for -more or less- 10 pcs
Day 30 Post the Purchase invoice
Day 30 to .. Post hundreds of Sales Invoices for -more or less- 10 pcs
...until the Inventory is 0

Automatic Adjust cost is set to Always.
Automatic Cost Posting is set to FALSE.

NAV is V5 (Italian version)

Please note that in real situation we have sales invoices with 10-15 items.

I expected slow performance when posting the purchase invoice due to cost adjustment. I did not expect the same for sales posting, given that the posting of sales should not affect costs (except the actual cost of the current line).

Apparently I see that also the posting of sales invoice is quite slow and the adjust cost window pops up during sales invoice posting. What does it happen exactly during sales invoice posting? Why the adjust cost window pops up?

Thanks in advance

(of course the solution can be set the automatic adjust to never and run it manually, but I would like to understand something more... :-) )

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The automatic cost adjustment means only that the job for adjustment is automatically started for item which were posted. It is not adjusting just the entries created by the posting but in same way as if you run it manually just with item filter for the specific item. It is why purchase and sales are behaving in same way. (I hope that I am correct in this...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • marblemarble Member Posts: 11
    Thanks.

That is true, as the HELP says...

"In this field you can set the program up to adjust for any cost changes automatically every time you post inventory transactions. The adjustment process and its consequences are the same as for the Adjust Cost - Item Entries batch job. "

Does it mean that it runs the Adjust Cost - Item Entries batch job, filtered by "my" Item? In that case, does it read all the sales value entries, then verify they are all ok but 1 (the current one), and adjust it? If so, it could probably be optimized, I guess...

M

p.s.
    Please note that the same help says also...

"Because potential cost adjustment during every inbound posting could slow down database performance, this setup field includes time options .. "

That should mean that only INBOUND transaction should be slow.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    marble wrote:
    "Because potential cost adjustment during every inbound posting could slow down database performance, this setup field includes time options .. "

That should mean that only INBOUND transaction should be slow.

Yes, it means that if you post something (regardless type) it will try to adjust all INBOUND entries, and to find out if there are some to adjust, it took some time...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.