Options

Limit user to log into SQL using NAV client only

zillzill Member Posts: 6
edited 2008-05-27 in SQL General
How can I stop users to log to NAV database using SQL connection with third party applications?

My client has users that are very good in using SQL, and they often bypass NAV and access SQL database using “enterprise manager” or some other reporting tool. They use their regular user names to access SQL database.

How can I limit user to log into SQL using NAV client only?

Comments

• Options
    TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    Remove all roles for user in SQL (leave only public role).
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    or if you would became a email or auto. disconect these users you can create a alert on SQL Server if some users conect without Navision application.

For example with this sql query (is not finished, only an idea)
    select * from master.dbo.sysprocesses
      where (spid between 50 and 99) and [program_name] not like '%Navision%' 

Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    zill wrote:
    How can I stop users to log to NAV database using SQL connection with third party applications?

My client has users that are very good in using SQL, and they often bypass NAV and access SQL database using “enterprise manager” or some other reporting tool. They use their regular user names to access SQL database.

How can I limit user to log into SQL using NAV client only?

This is by default. That they have access from outside means, that somebody assigned them e.g. db_owner role (which is needed if you are the one who imports objects into the DB). If the users are just created in SQL and assigned in NAV, they cannot access the db from outside...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.